Wiring of built in microwave and steam oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new kitchen and although all the other built in appliances (fridge, cookerhood, dishwasher, wine cooler and single ovens) have separate isolation switches on the wall in the kitchen, the built in microwave and steam oven do not have any way to be turned off other than if I go outside to the garage and trip the main fuse board ie. they are just wired directly in to the ring main. The electrician also forgot about the fact that I wanted an induction hob in the island unit so ended up putting the isolation switch for that in a cupboard! I don't think that this is particularly safe or convenient but the electrician who carried out the work has said it is ok and has issued the certificate. Could anyone throw any light on this for me as to what is required under current legislation and whether or not this is just bad practice rather than being illegal? Thanks

Sponsored Links
its not great to have to turn off a whole circuit just to switch off an appliance. You say he 'wired it directly' into the socket outlet circuit? How did he do this?

Theres nothing to say that a cooker isolator cannot go inside a cupboard, so long as the cupboard is of solid construction and secured to the building in some way.
If the hob is installed in an island, where would you have preferred the cooker switch to be?

Thanks, not too bothered about the isolator switch for the hob..although funnily enough its in a cupboard on the opposite side of the room to the island unit, suppose it would not form part of the building if it was in the island unit cupboard!? The appliances, I think, according to the kitchen fitter who put them in, have plugs and are plugged into inaccessible plug sockets behind the appliances, its these that are then wired directly to the fuse board.

IMO you can't install a plug/socket where it is in-accessible. I would be bending the ear of the guy who did it asking him how i could change the fuse in the microwave plug.

Does the cooker switch only control the hob or does it control an oven aswell?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again..I have already mentioned this to him but he doesn't seem too bothered, I think the builder has already paid him (probably an agreed amount for the work) so he doesn't want to have to come back!! The isolation switch for the hob is the induction hob only due to the load being v.high it had to have its own wiring direct to the fuse board- over 10kw if all rings being used full pelt...the two single ovens are also on a separate isolation switch with separate wiring to fuse board, they are pyrolytic with a max load of 3.7kw each. There are isolation switches for everything else which is why I thought it strange that there wasn't any for the other two appliances! Had everything on on xmas day at the same time and nothing went pop so assuming all wiring is ok, but am wondering if I should get someone out for a second opinion just to put my mind at rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back