Wiring of Lighting Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Bit of a strange one (for me) but sure its quiet straight forward.

Have just replace living room bog stadard rose for a light fitting and at the same time changed the swithes.
It's a 3 gang swith, One for the main light and two for two pairs of wall lights. As far as I can tell, the live for the wall lights comes from the ceiling light via the socket.
Anyway, in addition we have an outside light which is a continuation of the ceiling light as well.
When I unscrewed the rose, it looked as if there was an addition neutral wire in the the side of the neutral lamp fitting, but i didnt really pay too much attention (i know !!! )

Anyway, I wired up the ceiling light as I have done all over the house. (Neutral to Neutral) (Live to Switched Live) (Earth to Earth) With all the Lives into a sepperate connector box. Turned back on the power and it worked a dream.

Now this is where it gets a bit strange. I changed the 3 gang switch, and replaced the wires exactly as they were (From memory the first terminal was normal, and the second/third had an additional wire between the two 'com' boxes -With the live and switched lives as normal)
When I turned the power back on, the mail ceiling light was on, even the the switch was off, and off when the switch was was on !!!
Also, the porch light didnt work properly. It only came on, when the mail ceiling light was on, but in coming on - It turned the living room light off... ie - It seemed like it was only gettting the power to it the rose, when the living room light was on and then upon switching on the porch light that seemed to steal all the power from the living room light !!!

It's certainly got me puzzed !!

Pretty sure it's something simple as it was working fine prior to switching the lights / sockets.

Any ideas ???

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have got the perm line supply wired to the lamp connection. In other words you got it wrong when you connected up.See post titled loop wiring driving me crazy.

Thanks,

Just saw that reply... Will take a look at that... So would this would be at the switch or at the light fitting ?

I'm guessing that it would be the light fitting as it didn't look like normal when I replaced...

So. would I need to sepperate the neutral of the lamp from the main ceiling light ? And oif so - What do I connect it to as one of the other neutrals must be going to the ceiling light !

Cheers

Sponsored Links
....I'm guessing that it would be the light fitting as it didn't look like normal when I replaced...

Don't guess - use a meter to find out where the error is.

You already know the lights worked after you changed the fitting, but before you changed the switch, so why do you suspect a problem with the light fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back