Wiring of new thermo stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Feel this should be simple but keen double check before I wire as I'm replacing the thermostat but also moving to a digital one. Live is obvious but insure what goes into the digital thermo open and closed holes :/ would really appreciate the help and attached the pictures of the current honeywell one and the new anself diagram. Its fir a room thermostat to control underfloor heating.

Attachments

• IMG-20191022-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20191022-WA0004.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20191020_103253.jpg
    20191020_103253.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20191022_084348.jpg
    20191022_084348.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
The Honeywell wiring is

Terminal 1 = Live
Terminal 2 = Neutral
Terminal 3 = Switched Live
Earth = Earth

How it connects to the new thermostat depends on which version you have, GB or GC. But the connections for both are shown on the diagram you posted.

Hi Stem, thanks 4 your help. We have water underfloor heating run by an oil boiler. Would the switch live go into the open or closed? Or does it need a loop? Thank you

So you need the GC version of the thermostat.

The wire in old stat terminal 1 Live....Goes to GC L (4)

The wire in old stat terminal 2 Neutral....Goes to GC N (3)

The wire in old stat terminal 3 Switched Live....Goes to GC (2)

And you need to insert a link to connect GC terminals (L) and (1)

Sponsored Links
Hi, so I did that and it shorted the fuse:( heres a picture of what I think you suggested

Hi, picture now attached....hopefully:rolleyes:

I've removed the live loop at one end.

Attachments

• 20191024_210646.jpg
    20191024_210646.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 54
If it helps here is the wiring diagram from the old honeywell thermostat

Attachments

• 20191024_213345.jpg
    20191024_213345.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 45
Did it blow a fuse, or trip? Did you isolate first? Are any wires “pinched” or trapped? Eg have you trapped any insulation in the terminal contacts?

Last edited:
Nothing obvious!! you should have gone to spec savers!:eek:

After you didn't tell me which version of the thermostat you had purchased when I initially asked, I told you that the instructions I had given were for the replacing the Honeywell with a GC type, which resembles the type of thermostat now in common use in the UK. I also said that the wiring changes according to the model you have.

The instructions that you posted clearly show that the GC version looks like this:

GC.JPG

However, from your photograph we can see that you have actually installed a GA version which is wired differently internally. This type thermostat is used commonly in mainland Europe and as the picture shows is designed for use with a MOMO valve which requires open / close control signals.

GA.JPG

Making the link with this version is not necessary. It's done internally for you.

Last edited:
So does that mean that No.1 is left with no wire if the loop is not required? We are findjngvtgd underfloor heating is permanently on, would the loop be causing this ir would it be something else?

With the GA version of the thermostat, no external link is required.

Terminal 3 is 'Neutral' = Grey wire with blue sleeve that was in Honeywell 2

Terminal 4 is the 'Permanent Live' =Brown wire that was in Honeywell 1

Terminal 2 is the 'Call for Heat' = Black wire with brown sleeve that was in Honeywell terminal 3

Terminal 1= Heating satisfied which corresponds to terminal 4 of your old thermostat is not used and should be left empty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back