wiring old 2 gang light switch to new, help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone be super helpful and tell me which wire goes where on this new light switch, i believe that 1way corresponds to l11 & l21 and 2 way to l12 & l22 but not sure if it matters which way around the com wires go. The current switches are wired the wrong way around (left switch controls light to right) so id like to fix that on the new switch aswell.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20221107_150308.jpg
    20221107_150308.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 20221106_120031.jpg
    20221106_120031.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Old switch com = new switch com.
Old " "one way = New L11
old ". " 2 way. =. New L12
The left hand gang of the old switch has 3 red wires. Mark them carefully so they don't get mixed up.

By the way ,your new switch layout is a triangular shape.
Com at the apex of the triangle, and the L11 and L12 are bottom left and right of the triangle.
Likewise with the other gang , which is an upside down triangle.
Hope that makes sense !!

Thanks for the reply.

The markings on new switch are COM1, COM2, L11, L12, L21, L22.

To confirm i understand correctly,

left hand side (all red) would go

1way - L11
2way - L12
COM - COM1

and right hand side

1way (blue) - L21
2way (red) - L22
COM (yellow) - COM2

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I can't see any earth conductors in your pic. Where are they ? Your new switch must be earthed .

Great, so to switch which side controls which light id just switch the cables on left on the old to the right on the new one?

Theres an earth going to the backplate, should i move it to the earth terminal on the switch?

thanks

Yes ,switch left to right as you indicated.
With regard to the earth conductors they go to the earth terminal on your new switch ,or you can add a flying earth link from the switches earth terminal to the earth conductors in the mounting box ,using a suitable piece of wire, sleeved yellow / green.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back