wiring on y plan open vent system. pump help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does the external pump on the above system need to be wired into the 10 way wiring box or does it need to be wired into the boiler it self? the boiler in a valliant ecotec

Sponsored Links
Circulating pump should be wired back to boiler , i take it you're refering to the open vented 415/438?

the live for the pump will be supplied by the boiler on most condensing boilers.you just connect the wires from the boiler to the 10 way box and join the pump to them there.or if the pump is next to the boiler run the wire from the pump to the boiler connections.

the live for the pump will be supplied by the boiler on most condensing boilers.you just connect the wires from the boiler to the 10 way box and join the pump to them there.or if the pump is next to the boiler run the wire from the pump to the boiler connections.

ok thank you, so if the pump isnt wired back to the boiler will the pump...(A) still run if wired soley into the 10 way box? and (B) if it does still run will it run constnatly causing the water to circualte around the by-pass/circuit (depending how the 3 port valve is positioned) thus causing the boiler to re-light everyso often to heat the water to temp ? thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
ok thank you, so if the pump isnt wired back to the boiler will the pump...(A) still run if wired soley into the 10 way box? and (B) if it does still run will it run constnatly causing the water to circualte around the by-pass/circuit (depending how the 3 port valve is positioned) thus causing the boiler to re-light everyso often to heat the water to temp ? thanks in advance. :)

(A) Depends on where it's connected to in the 10-way!
(B) Same answer as (A)

The pump's Live should be connected to the Vaillant's "L for pump", the Pumps Neutral (and Earth) don't have to be connected directly to the boiler, as long as it's a common Neutral in the wiring.

I've just re-wired my Vaillant ecoTEC 418 and confirmed the above via Vaillant tech before doing so.

(A) Depends on where it's connected to in the 10-way!
(B) Same answer as (A)

The pump's Live should be connected to the Vaillant's "L for pump", the Pumps Neutral (and Earth) don't have to be connected directly to the boiler, as long as it's a common Neutral in the wiring.

I've just re-wired my Vaillant ecoTEC 418 and confirmed the above via Vaillant tech before doing so.

Ok thanks much appreciated advice, don't think the wiring of the pump has been changed from that of the old boiler that was installed, and now the pump constantly runs unless I switch the main power off, meaning I can't use timer room stat etc as pump never stops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back