Wiring or switch for power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My power shower has stopped working. The main switch is stuck and was very hot and smelt. I've opened it up and the wire ends have melted. I don't know if I can trim the wires back and replace the switch or if I need a electrician to change the wiring. I've included a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20170526_104358.jpg
    IMG_20170526_104358.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 354
Sponsored Links
you should get a spark to check it out,it was a bodged job not done by pro. CPC is not even sheathed. is it an electric shower ,cold water feed only or is it actually a power shower that would have hot and cold feeds. big difference ,

You cannot be too careful where electricity, water and people come together.....

I agree, get an electrician to check it out, and to check the wiring to the shower itself - if the quality of the switch wiring is anything to go by.
Its a typical plumber or DIYer installation (sorry plumbers!)

Also have your electrician check that you have an RCD on the shower circuit and that it is operating to specification.

Sponsored Links
if so it looks like the cable size is way too small ...edit ..may be too small.

Last edited:
if so it looks like the cable size is way too small ...edit ..may be too small.
How can you say that? You do not know the value of the MCB/fuse in the consumer unit. You do not know the power rating of the shower.

It's stranded cable so likely 6mm² or perhaps 4mm². So where's the problem if the CPD is 32amps?

As has already been said (just reinforcing the importance of it)........ have an electrician take a look and put it right, and not the person who tried wiring it up in the first place.

hi Taylor ,as you see I did edit to state MAY be too small ,as in not able to carry the load .regards terry

I don't know if I can trim the wires back and replace the switch or if I need a electrician to change the wiring.
Can you tell if there is any slack in the cables? By the time they have been cut back far enough you might find that it's not possible to connect a switch if they can be pulled through a bit.

You do not know the value of the MCB/fuse in the consumer unit. You do not know the power rating of the shower.
James can tell us those.

And hopefully tell us whether the cable appears to be 4mm² or 6mm²: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:flatpvccables

Looks like 6mm, also looks like its been made off by a badger, causing the issue!

Generally, if you use a semi decent isolator and make a decnet job of terminating it, then you'll never get problems. That switch has just been connected and forced back and it looks like theres unsheathed cores going to be showing above as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back