Wiring outside light to two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house that had wiring pre installed for an outside light. I have connected up the outside light as described in the instructions (all very straght forward).

However the wiring from this light goes to a light switch in my hall to a two light swith. I have removed the light switch and can see that in the back the electricians have not connected the outside light wiring to the switch but have just isolated it with a small electric gang.

However I am now lost as to how to wire my outside light up to the two switch, only one half of the switch has been wired which is for my internal hall lights leaving the over side free for the outside light.

The switch is currently set up as listed below

Left Switch
L1 - Yellow wire with small piece of red sleeving
L2 - 2 x Red wire
L3 - 1 x Yellow wire with small piece of red sleeving and 1x blue wire

The right switch is blank but I have the following wires from my out side light

Red
Black
Blue

earth is already wired in

I would appreciate if someone out there could let me know how I am supposed to wire the outside light in to this switch

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you do not have a neutral, with out it the light will never work.

you nead to find a black which is neutral that is also not connected.

you said the electricians have left some wires "isolated in the switch"

what colours are they?

and what colours did you connect to your outside light?

The wires that they have left are

Red
Black
Blue

earth is already wired in

you will need to find out if these are live.

get a "volt stick" from a diy store and find out if any are live.

I am sorry to be so vague, but there are no strict "rules" as to which colour you use apart from black and red

you could assume that black is neutral and red is live, in which case conect the black to the neutral for your light

connect the red to the C terminal of the switch (it may be L1)

connect the live of your light to L2 of the switch

and of course you have turned the mains off while connecting havent you.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have posted pic of current wiring to

http://www.oneilla.ac.psiweb.com/images/outsidelight.htm

none of the wires to the outside light are connected to anything other than the outside light

Oh and I have turned the fuse box off :D

I assume that all is needed is to connect the wires of the outside light to the free side of the switch, however I am not sure which points to connect them to :confused:

drawing is apreciated but it tells me nothing, as you only need 2 wires for the light and you have 3 (not counting earth)

you need to identify the live, read my previous post

Should you perhaps think about getting a professional to sort this for you?

Sorry breezer, the professional help was for Zand3r.

I'd already organised something for you though, look out for a couple of guys in white coats, they should be able to help. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

oilman said:
Sorry breezer, the professional help was for Zand3r.

I'd already organised something for you though, look out for a couple of guys in white coats, they should be able to help. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know, i was being sarcastic, incidentally the men in white coats, i gave them YOUR address

Hi Zand3r!
How come your diagram shows three wires (red,blue & black)connected to the light?, when only two are required.
Switches don't cater for the neutral so have you identified a neutral that you can connect your neutral wire to.
You have to supply the unused switch with a 'live' at 'com' (see note 1)
You have to run a 'switched live' wire from L2 to the light (see note 2)
You have to run a 'neutral' wire from the light to a convenient 'neutral terminal (see note 3)
Note 1 If there is no 'live' wire provided for the unused switch then one can be taken off the other switch, it will be L2 or L3 but you will need to establish which by testing.
Note 2 I would use the red for this 'switched live' if you use any other colour then it should have red flag or sleeve.
Note 3 This appears to be the biggest problem. Now all ceiling roses have a neutral so you can run your neutral (black) from the light to any neutral
The 'blue wire' you have shown connected at the light has no useful purpose and I don't know what the electrician had planned for it.
Hope this helps
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3 wires cos one is neutral
1 is live
and one is switched live for pir over ride....

AR

most pirs do not have an overide terminal, you can get them to stay on by switching off then on in a very short time. good idea though, but drawing shows 3 wires connected to light?, no mention of pir, and we do not know if neutral is present (maybe the blue?)

(edited by me for typo)

3 wires cos one is neutral
1 is live
and one is switched live for pir over ride....

Blue Is Commonly Used As a Neutral In a 3C+E Cable,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back