Wiring outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought an MK outdoor socket
I am wiring it to a 13amp socket
Ideally I would chase the wall and run a cable to it
But that’s a lot of work. Is there any reason I couldn’t run a (suitable) flex to the socket and fix a 13amp plug thus avoiding the need to chase the wall please?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
That's an option. One thing with adding sockets, regulations state that they must be RCD-protected

generally this means that:
either the new socket is an RCD socket in its own right or
the source socket circuit is already RCD-protected (usually in the consumer unit)

Thank you. It’s all on a breaker. The socket is behind an appliance so the cable inside will never be seen running down the wall and I can conduit it. Seems to save a lot of work

Thank you. It’s all on a breaker. The socket is behind an appliance so the cable inside will never be seen running down the wall and I can conduit it. Seems to save a lot of work
Of course it is on a “breaker”. All circuits will be on a BREAKER. That limits the current.
But, you need an RCD. That limits the maximum amount of earth leakage current, and saves your life if your hedge cutter chops through the supply flex.
Post a photo of your consumer unit if you aren’t sure.

Sponsored Links
Can you drill through the existing back box, directly in to the back of the new exterior box.

Of course it is on a “breaker”. All circuits will be on a BREAKER. That limits the current.
But, you need an RCD. That limits the maximum amount of earth leakage current, and saves your life if your hedge cutter chops through the supply flex.
Post a photo of your consumer unit if you aren’t sure.
Sorry poor terminology from me, I agree. It is an RCD but I’ve attached a photo anyway
Can you drill through the existing back box, directly in to the back of the new exterior box.
unfortunately not, the problem is the socket is at worktop height and I want the outdoor socket much lower

Attachments

• IMG_7293.jpeg
    IMG_7293.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 53
I have bought an MK outdoor socket
I am wiring it to a 13amp socket
Ideally I would chase the wall and run a cable to it
But that’s a lot of work. Is there any reason I couldn’t run a (suitable) flex to the socket and fix a 13amp plug thus avoiding the need to chase the wall please?
Thank you
And how would the cable get to the socket you intend to plug it into? would you drill a hole in the worktop and thread it through? (naff) better to do it neatly in the first place then it wont bug you for years to come..... have you checked behind the units below the intended source socket the cables may be surface mounted and then you could spur off with a junction box

The socket is below the worktop and inside a unit - spare appliance socket. My original plan was exactly that, spur off the socket and chase the cable down the wall. But, the cable will never be seen and so really the only difference is that there will be a surface cable with plug, rather than a smarter install no-one will ever see. Additionally it means the outside socket can be disconnected if I ever wanted to, I suppose.

Replace the socket with an FCU, or just a 20A switch, run a cable from the load side surface mounted (or even floating) till you get to the hole to the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back