Wiring oven and induction hob from the same switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of replacing my kitchen and would like to know if there are any issues from wiring the oven and induction hob to the same power supply? Picture attached

Sponsored Links
Nope, not as such.

You may find the oven instructions call for a 13A fuse, if it has a plug, or 16A, if European.

This relates to the flex it may come with but should not be an issue.

I hope the line drawing between the cooker switch and the cooker connection unit is not the current/intended cable route since unless it is surface mounted it will not comply with the regulations without additional protection.

If you are fitting new 6mm T&E cable from the cooker switch to the cooker connection unit then I would channel out a drop below the switch until it was below the worktop then surface mount it to the ccu.

And I would replace the old ccu with one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...zMp7c_uTw9pt6MZ4kOZE_Xwa6nK7PPWcqWhoCL4vw_wcB

Thanks for the advise I will buy one of those dual units... The drawing is not where the wires are (hopefully) its just for my reference.

Sponsored Links
I hope the line drawing between the cooker switch and the cooker connection unit is not the current/intended cable route since unless it is surface mounted it will not comply with the regulations without additional protection.
True, but it's probably worth adding, for the OP, that it would be very easy to change the route of that chasing/cable so that it would be compliant (basically, get rid of the curve and instead have to straight chases, with a right-angled corner between them).

Kind Regards, John

The drawing is not where the wires are (hopefully).
Indeed, hopefully.

For if the cables do not run either vertically or horizontally to/from the switch and outlet plate, they are dangerous and illegal.

Where do they run? If you don't know then you could die, or end up killing someone else, when you start fixing things to the walls. And that's not scare talk - it has actually happened in a kitchen where some idiot installed cables in the wrong places.

Ive had a little dig and they run vertically and horizontally (the house is only 20 years old) ill still be flipping the fuses before drilling as a precaution...

In the case I referred to that would have made no difference - a screw nicked a live conductor, shelf bracket became live, victim later touched the bracket and an earthed appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back