Wiring Oven, Hob and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am installing a brand new oven, hob and extractor in the kitchen - on the opposite side from where the current stand alone oven hob is. This is what I understand so far:

I need to keep the oven & hob on the separate circuit into consumer unit it is on now - ie disconnect existing wiring and start again - i assume this is ok?

can I put the fan on this circuit too?

My plan is to run the new cable from the consumer unit (which is just behind the wall where the oven will be) down the wall into the kitchen and into a 45A switch then down to a dual appliance cooker connection unit for single oven and ceramic hob? does this sound OK? Also, if I chose a 2 gang switch could I then run a separate cable (all cable to be 6mm and 10mm from consumer unit to switch?) to an unswitched socket behind the 'flu' of the hood?

Any help greatly appreciated. Note; I will probably not end up doing this myself if I do not feel comfortable with the instructions but I am hoping I am nearly correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am installing a brand new oven, hob and extractor in the kitchen - on the opposite side from where the current stand alone oven hob is. This is what I understand so far:
Okay.

I need to keep the oven & hob on the separate circuit into consumer unit it is on now - ie disconnect existing wiring and start again - i assume this is ok?
Okay - is the circuit RCD protected?

can I put the fan on this circuit too?
you can do with a bit of effort but the fan is normally included in the ring final circuit.

My plan is to run the new cable from the consumer unit (which is just behind the wall where the oven will be) down the wall into the kitchen and into a 45A switch then down to a dual appliance cooker connection unit for single oven and ceramic hob? does this sound OK?
Yes - though have you done the calculations regarding cable size, MCB size etc.

Also, if I chose a 2 gang switch could I then run a separate cable (all cable to be 6mm and 10mm from consumer unit to switch?) to an unswitched socket behind the 'flu' of the hood?
You lost me there - what type of 2 gang switch are you talking about? It is going to have to be quite big to accommodate both 6mm ² and 10mm ² T&E cables

Thanks for the prompt reply, what would you suggest? There is a door where the oven will be so it will be a stud wall to make wiring a bit easier. Don't want to remove the ceiling to get at ring main if I can. Any products you can suggest for me would be great :)

Thanks for the prompt reply, what would you suggest? There is a door where the oven will be so it will be a stud wall to make wiring a bit easier. Don't want to remove the ceiling to get at ring main if I can. Any products you can suggest for me would be great :)
I personally would deal with the hob/oven and extractor fan separately.
If you have the Consumer Unit directly behind the wall where the fan is to be placed then you could always run a new 2.5mm ² T&E cable from the ring final circuit at the consumer unit up the wall and out into the kitchen where the extractor fan socket will be. If no socket required then use a 13A Fused connection unit instead.

For the oven/hob assuming you have done all the calculations regarding the power being drawn from the appliances. I would run the cable from the CU down the wall were the Cu is and through a hole into the location of the 45A cooker control switch - then run the same cable down to the dual appliance cooker connection unit.
The size of the cable and MCB will be determined by your calculations. But for a normal sized oven and hob applying diversity a 6mm ² T&E running to the cooker switch and the same size to the cooker connection unit - protected by an RCD and 32A MCB should be enough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that sounds easy enough-will do my calculations on Thursday before making any decisions on the wiring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back