wiring oven, hob and extractor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched the whole site but can not find an answer. I want to wire in a 3kw single fan oven, a 5.8kw ceramic hob and an extractor hood which uses 150-250watt all from the 6mm cable from consumer unit and passes through the dp cooker switch. is this possible? my idea is to run the 6mm from cons unit to cooker switch then 6mm to a junction box and from there feed 6mm to hob, 2.5mm to fcu then to oven and another 2.5 to another fcu onto extractor! can anyone tell me if this sounds ok? and if its not ok how can you get all three so they can be isolated at the cooker switch. Thanks for any help in advance!!

Sponsored Links
HammerHappy said:
I have searched the whole site but can not find an answer. I want to wire in a 3kw single fan oven, a 5.8kw ceramic hob and an extractor hood which uses 150-250watt all from the 6mm cable from consumer unit and passes through the dp cooker switch. is this possible? my idea is to run the 6mm from cons unit to cooker switch then 6mm to a junction box and from there feed 6mm to hob, 2.5mm to fcu then to oven and another 2.5 to another fcu onto extractor! can anyone tell me if this sounds ok? and if its not ok how can you get all three so they can be isolated at the cooker switch. Thanks for any help in advance!!

All of the cable PRE-FCU will need to be 6mm², since it is only protected by (i assume) a 32A MCB at your consumer unit. After the FCUs, use 1.5mm².

Take the main feed to the cooker switch, and feed the hob (direct) and oven (FCU) from the "load" terminals. Feed the extractor FCU from the "supply" terminals, from the main feed. Best way of doing it i think. 6mm² is tricky to get into FCUs though. ;) good luck

Cheers crafty for your swift and educated reply! I will do as you say and hope i can squeeze those 6mm cables into the fcu's! :D

Sponsored Links
not strictly true crafty...the FCU downstream will provide overload protection to the cable, the 32A breaker would have to provide short circuit protection, after checking that the Zs are low enough to achieve disconnection, you could apply the adiabatic equation to make sure the temperature reached during a fault is not too high. It is though seen as bad practice sometimes to put the overload protection downstream of the cable its protecting.

use good quality FCUs and be prepared for it to be difficult.

Or alternativly, use a small consumer unit with 32A*, 16A and 6A/3A breakers fitted

*should be noted that this will not descriminate with the upstream device

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back