Adequate combination for oven/hob/fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am having a new kitchen and am replacing a gas cooker with an electric oven, hob and extractor fan. The cabling for these will run in trunking behind 5 cabinets before reaching the oven etc, so I want to check the cables are adequate before I put the cabinets in place. I plan on one 6mm t&e and one 4mm t&3. The 6mm for the hob and the 4mm for both the oven and the extractor. Given the values below, does this sound adequate? I will be getting an electrician to actually wire the appliances in and to connect the other ends to the consumer unit. Thanks.

The oven is a 3.49 KW,
The induction hob is 7.4KW,
The extractor fan is 158W.
The run from the CU to the appliances is around 5m.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply Murdochcat. I don't actually have anyone lined up for the electrics yet as the kitchen is being done in two sections. The first 3m or so, is just cabinets, the second half, further along, is where all the appliances are. The cabinets for the first half are currently sitting in the front room. The appliances, sink, etc for the second half haven't been delivered yet hence not having anyone booked. I just want to get the right cables in the trunking so we can put the cabinets in place. Fair point though, I'll try to get the electrician booked for the appliances and when they quote, confirm the cable requirements. Cheers.

So the Electrician will be installing the cables before the cabinets cover the routes up? or has agreed to let you do that part under an adequate degree of supervision?
When I was a registered competent person I would not agree to an ordinary person installing those cables but if it was say a fellow Electrician I might allow them to do that bit under my adequate supervision.
You will need to confirm all of this with your registered electrician prior to starting the job first, otherwise you might encounter problems with sign offs.

Sponsored Links
Hi. No, the idea was that I would install the cables (i.e. just put them in some trucking that I have attached to the wall). Connecting to the CU at one end and wiring to the appliances at the other I was always going to ask the electrician to do. I see it makes sense to get an electrician involved early doors and I now have one booked in to come and quote for work, so when he comes I'll check if he is OK with me putting the cables in and confirm the cable sizes. Hopefully that will allow us to get the new cabinets in place and get the front room back!

I plan on one 6mm t&e and one 4mm t&3. The 6mm for the hob and the 4mm for both the oven and the extractor. Given the values below, does this sound adequate? I will be getting an electrician to actually wire the appliances in and to connect the other ends to the consumer unit.
As has been said, you need to discuss this with the electrician who you will be expected to 'sign off' the work'.

However, if that electrician is sensible/competent, he/she will probably (hopefully!) tell you that you don't really need two cables, and that one of just 4mm² would very probably be adequate.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John. Yes, as above, I now have an electrician booked in to quote and will check with him.
Thanks for your answers all. I'll post on here what the electrician says, in case anyone is interested :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back