wiring oven to exsisting oven plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on the wall in my kitchen is a 45A oven switch feeding a cooker outlet, I have an oven that is only 2kw and would like to also wire in my washing machine - is is possible to replace the cooker plate or wire a double wall mounted socket to the cooker plate. I don't want to do anything that doesn't meet requlations - ideas gratefully accepted

Sponsored Links
Yes, - Because the oven is fairly low power I would like to turn the cooker plate into normal type sockets - so I can plug in oven and washer machine - this way I don't have to put wires through the worktop to get to the washer.
Its the cooker outlet that I want to wire to a double wall mounted socket or something similar,

This is fine, as long as the circuit is adequately protected by an MCB or fuse appropriate for the cable. Though you dont need any higher than 32A for a socket circuit (what you're creating).

Just fit a double socket, and remember the cooker switch is still neccesary to isolate the appliances readily in an emergency, unless the new sockets will be readily accessible, in which case you could do away with the cooker switch in favour of a socket.

Sponsored Links
Urban Zebra said:
on the wall in my kitchen is a 45A oven switch feeding a cooker outlet, I have an oven that is only 2kw and would like to also wire in my washing machine - is is possible to replace the cooker plate or wire a double wall mounted socket to the cooker plate. I don't want to do anything that doesn't meet requlations - ideas gratefully accepted

nothin wrong with that, altho i would recommend you change the fuse for a 30A instead of 40/45A.

also, double socket are rated 13A total load, not 26A. altho you should rarely excedd 13A

change the fuse down to 32A

also DO NOT use a double socket they are unsuitable for running two high power appliances use two seperate singles.

Surely the cooker plate it likely to be wired in 6mm or 10mm? that'd be pretty hard to get into the terminals of a 13A socket.

You are aware of Part P of the Building Regulations, are you?

I am also very aware of lifes bureaucrats - perhaps that what you do.

slippyr4 said:
Surely the cooker plate it likely to be wired in 6mm or 10mm? that'd be pretty hard to get into the terminals of a 13A socket.

MK claim you can get two 6mm conductors into thier sockets though you would probablly need a deep backbox and a fair bit of patiance.

another way would be to mount a couple of sockets below the cooker connection box and then connect them to it with two seperate runs of 2.5mm (some will probablly scream at me for suggesting this but its no worse than having 2.5mm spurs off a ring)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back