Wiring PIV Unit in Loft

You don't need or require the fused spur unit if wiring to the lighting circuit. It will offer no protection as the lighting circuit will have a 6 amp MCB and there will be no discrimination between that and a 3 amp plug type fuse. Also you don't need 1.5mm cable. 1.00 mm is adequate, cheaper, and save the planets supply of valuable copper.

Sponsored Links
In this instance it is required for isolation when the unit is cleaned or otherwise maintained. It's also supplied with the unit.
Indeed - but I don't doubt that we will be told that a DP switch, although probably more expensive, would be adequate for that purpose!

Kind Regards, John

In this instance it is required for isolation when the unit is cleaned or otherwise maintained. It's also supplied with the unit.

Probably for when the end user connects it to a power circuit. Wonder if it is still supplied when they sell the unit in other countries!

Putting an isolator in the loft is not exactly great either. Imagine OH says it is time you cleaned that PIR lamp. Get out the loft ladder, move the suitcases "someone" has left just inside the hatch, trip over the Christmas tree and decorations, now what was it I came up here for, ah yes switch off this FCU. Then repeat the process in reverse afterwards.
Hah, next time I will just turn the upstairs lights MCB off in the cupboard under the stairs. Now I know why that FCU was unnecessary!

Sponsored Links
Putting an isolator in the loft is not exactly great either. Imagine OH says it is time you cleaned that PIR lamp.
What have PIR lamps got to do with anything?

This is about a ventilation device which is installed in the loft, and has filters which require cleaning/replacement at intervals.
The FCU will be located next to the device, so that it can be isolated by whoever is replacing the filters.

Hah, next time I will just turn the upstairs lights MCB off in the cupboard under the stairs. Now I know why that FCU was unnecessary!
Fair enough so long as you have a good torch!

For what it's worth, it's also arguably safer, when working on something, to have it isolated by something local to it (within eyesight of the person doing the work), rather than by an MCB in a far-away CU which someone could switch back on (very few householders/DIYers will have a means of locking it off). However, I agree that a DP switch would be adequate for this purpose, if one is prepared to pay that bit extra.

Kind Regards, John

You might be needing more than Specsavers if your mind thought that someone would install a 'PIR lamp' in a loft!

Kind Regards, John

No, I thought the connection was in the loft, lamp outside under the eves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back