Wiring problem, please could someone advise?

I don't know without taking the top off, but I am sure it should have an overrun....

Ok, just the bedroom left now, that has a light switch for the room, and a light switch for the bathroom light and extractor.

With both off, either will turn on and off. The fan doesn't overrun.

If the bathroom light is on and I turn on the bedroom light, the bathroom plunges into darkness and the fan goes off!!

So, I worked that one out (thanks DIYnot wiki!)! The light switch had live to common, the bedroom light to L1, and the bathroom switch link in L2! D'oh....

So yes, I am partly boasting about how well I have done with my knowledge (total tongue in cheek, it's taken stress, wiki, and the help of you guys! :D)

The bathroom switch is still bugging me....

1 x 3 core
3 x 2 core

I also have a shaver point in the bathroom.

Would this be a good assumption for wiring?:

1. Shaver red into com
2. light bulb red into L1
3a. Fan blue into blacks
3b. Fan red into com
3c. Fan yellow into L1
4. Live power into com

I believe that's how it's currently wired, yet doesn't explain why the overrun doesn't work. Could you kindly advise if the above is correct or if I should wire it differently?

TBH if it looks good wiring wise, then I shall forget about the overrun and just live with it as'is!

Sponsored Links
So this switch is currently wired as above?
En-suite light switches on/off?
The Shaver socket is working?
The Ex-fan comes on when en-suite light is switched on, but does not overrun when light turned off?

that is how I assume it is wired, I am only 95% sure.

I cannot test the shave socket as I don't have anything to plug in, and I broke my multimeter! I can keep killing the power and removing cables out of com to confirm which is the link, which is live, and which is the shaver socket.

I have of course assumed the 3 core is the fan, and of course the light comes on and off by switch as does the fan so that's the 2 in L1 sorted (or am I assuming here?), so the 3 cables in com can surely only be live, the shaver socket, and the fan.

The only other thought is that I have made an error of judgement and that the red in L1 should be in Com, and one of the com's in L1?

Sponsored Links
Nope, fan comes on with the light but then never switches off, and only the isolator can turn it off

Nope, fan comes on with the light but then never switches off, and only the isolator can turn it off
So swapping the cables has made the ex- fan come on when en-suite light is switched on? But when light switched off the fan overruns but does not switch off?
If so how long did you leave it? Some ex- fans can overrun for more than 20 minutes. The timing can be adjusted.

30 mins and still on.

I think I am going to switch it back and just accept it only comes on when the light is on, unless you can think of anything else obvious.

I genuinely and sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart, I couldn't have even begun to have fixed this alone, and not only have I learnt from my mistakes, but I have learnt a lot about light fittings and switches. I just hope I don't need my troubleshooting skills quite so soon!! :D :D

THANKYOU!!

Check the inside of the extractor fan to see if the time can be reduced on overrun.
Knowing the model type fill help?
As it may have a transformer where the time can be adjusted.

Votrice TIPO M100 4. Not 4T.

Your honour, I believe that is case closed.

Thankyou to the early contributors, but biggest thanks to PrenticeBoyofDerry.

Thankyou. THANKYOU!!

I shall ensure I put some money in a charity box next time I pass one also to say thanks, do you have a favourite charity you'd like me to donate to? :)

Sorry didn't mean to be rude, a donation to an autistic charity is fine.
My missus actually works in child development and comes across many cases of autistic children. I am sure it will be well received and go towards giving valued care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back