Wiring problem, please could someone advise?

Sponsored Links
From what you have all said, I believe i can deduce and identify the below:

A 3 core that goes to the downstairs switch (the one not going into the blacks)
A 3 core that goes to the extractor fan (blue going into all blacks)
A 2 core that is the permanent feed (without the red from it nothing works)
A 2 core that goes to the landing light
I think a 2 core that's the bathroom light
So by elimination we have an A.N. Other
So all the blacks were originally connected together and still are?
If so, have you checked by use of an approved voltage tester, which is the perm live at the switch?
And if as you have stated above, I would start with landing light
Landing upstairs switch gang 1
Three core cable
Red to com
Yellow to L1
Blue to L2

Two core of landing
Red to L2
The black is at neutral loop yes?

Two core (containing perm live)
red to L1.

See what happens now!

I have a working landing light, both upstairs and downstairs!! :D :D :D

THANKYOU!!! :D :D :D

So that's the live core identified and sorted, the core from downstairs, and the core for the landing light. That's half the job done!!

Please don't give up on me just yet, I am extremely greatful, just have the other half to sort now if you wouldn't mind?

Sponsored Links
A 3 core that goes to the downstairs switch (the one not going into the blacks)
A 3 core that goes to the extractor fan (blue going into all blacks)
A 2 core that is the permanent feed (without the red from it nothing works)
A 2 core that goes to the landing light
I think a 2 core that's the bathroom light
So by elimination we have an A.N. Other

So bathroom light next>
we require a link cable between
com on gang 2 and perm live at L1 on gang 2 (to make gang 2 live)

Then the two core of bathroom light
Red to L1
again black is already at neutral loop?
That should make the bathroom light come on/off.

Now ideally we need to know where the core colours are at you ex-fan isolator, to determine where perm live is and switch live.
But putting red of the three core at com and yellow at L1 of gang 2, may do the trick. As blue is already at neutral loop.
Check that fan comes on with bathroom light and overrun performs as it should.

can you confirm what cores we have left, as you said four cores left?

com on gang 2 and perm live at L1 on gang 2 (to make gang 2 live)

Just so I read that right, a link cable between com and L1.....on the same switch? I only ask as that's what I was asked to take out on an earlier post.

Should it read com on the bathroom switch to L1 of the landing switch?

Red to L1

Bulb arrives tomorrow....

Now ideally we need to know where the core colours are at you ex-fan isolator, to determine where perm live is and switch live.
But putting red of the three core at com and yellow at L1 of gang 2, may do the trick. As blue is already at neutral loop.

Red is now in com
yellow in L1

result is..... fan comes on via the switch, and stays on for a couple of mins, then turns off! :D :D

With only the light red cable left, I can only wait til tomorrow to see if it works.

Verrry close, I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow!

Thankyou ever so much to everyone that's lent me their thoughts and words!

The final cable that's not plugged in yet which I assumed was the bathroom light.... if it's unplugged, the other bedroom light and bathroom light with air vent stop working....

So I am guessing it possibly needs to go either into L1 for power on the landing light, or into comm on the bathroom switch?.....

I know i have to wait for the bulb first....

It's so difficult and frustrating not being there, but it sounds like this is a loop connection to another room?

Is there a red and a black left over that are loose and are they from the same cable?

com on gang 1 and perm live at L1 on gang 2 (to make gang 2 live)

Just so I read that right, a link cable between com and L1.....on the same switch? I only ask as that's what I was asked to take out on an earlier post.

Should it read com on the bathroom switch to L1 of the landing switch?
sorry I made error there, the link goes from perm live of gang 1(landing) to com of gang 2 (bath)
But if you say as you do below, that fan is working when switched, is this with or without this link?
Red to L1

yes
Red is now in com
yellow in L1

result is..... fan comes on via the switch, and stays on for a couple of mins, then turns off! :D :D

With only the light red cable left, I can only wait til tomorrow to see if it works.

Verrry close, I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow!

Thankyou ever so much to everyone that's lent me their thoughts and words!
Is that with or without link and with or without red of bathroom light connected?

The final cable that's not plugged in yet which I assumed was the bathroom light.... if it's unplugged, the other bedroom light and bathroom light with air vent stop working....
So we do have one core left not yet terminated?
I assume this a bedroom with en-suite, so talking of a different bath/vent?
With another switching point located elsewhere?
So I am guessing it possibly needs to go either into L1 for power on the landing light, or into comm on the bathroom switch?.....
If the cable is switched at another location then this cable would terminate at either perm live of gang 1 or gang 2.

I know i have to wait for the bulb first....
Yes this needs to be confirmed (I can be done by testing out if no lamp is available), but if I understand you correctly, the spare red is a loop to bedroom/en-suite with another functional switch near that location? This can be terminated at either gang one or gang two at the perm live link connection, if terminated incorrectly at either gang, it will only function when either gang 1 or gang 2 present a closed circuit.
As you already have three cables at L1, a fourth cable might be a bit difficult to terminate there, so COM at second gang could be a better choice.
Or alternatively introducing a live loop similar to that of the neutral.

Almost there.....

Confirming (all blacks tied together with fan blue):

Right hand side (landing light)
----------------------------------
Core 1 (from downstairs switch) - matching same layout
Com - red
L1 - yellow
L2 - blue

Core 2 - landing light - red into L2

Core 3 - main power - red into L1

Link cable
-----------
Goes from L1 of the landing light, to left hand side bathroom Com

Right hand side (Bathroom light)
-------------------------------------
Core 4 - bathroom light - red into L1

Core 5 (3 core - fan)
L1 - yellow
blue - into all the blacks
Com - red

Core 6 - single red.... I'll get back to that in a mo.....

So as it stands, these are all the successes:

Lower landing switch
Upper landing switch
Bathroom light switch
Fan of bathroom working as expected, with 60 second cutout

Hurrah you say, job done?.....

ok, so the original question has been answered but I have a spare 2 core cable left, with black joining all the others, and a red. This single cable feeds the ensuite bathroom, both for the fan and the light. The light works fine and the fan works fine.... but.... the fan doesn't stay on for 60 seconds like it should do! Big sad face smiley.

So as I guessed it provided power I put the red cable into Com on the bathroom light so that it'd get the live power. Firstly, I hope this is right!!

The bathroom single switch has:

1 x 3 core (which I guess is the fan)
3 x 2 core

Blacks and 1 blue are linked as before.

The fan core is hooked up as:
Blue into blacks
Red into com
Yellow into L1

one of the 2 cores is red into com, I am guessing that's the live power

one of the 2 cores is red into L1

one of the 2 cores is red into com

I don't believe I've ever touched that switch before so I can only assume it's correct, and I believe one of the red coms may be from the bedroom light switch rather than en-suite.

As everything works apart from the ensuite fan cutting off when the light is switched off, should I just quit whilst I'm ahead?....

Did the fan ever overrun?

I cannot guarantee that, which is why I'm suggesting quitting whilst I'm ahead! It does have a separate isolator again if that helps?

I actually have another ensuite with a fan and that overruns, so I can only assume the one that's not working on the top floor should overrun.

Was I right to at least put the red cable in the common with the link cable? I am happy it doesn't overrun, just as long as everything is electrically safe and I haven't messed it up and finally got it back to a state of order! :)

I cannot see how anything at the switch point we have been working on will effect the overrun of the en-suite fan.
I assume that is at a different switch point?
You can check if it has an overrun facility if you want.
Do you know the model type?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back