Wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing 2 wall lights, there are 2 switches for theses lights.

The first light has 2 cables. The wires in the first are red, black and green/yellow). The other cable appears to have just a red wire (is this the switch cable?).

When I try to connect up the lights they are permanently on. I understand that this is something to do with the switch wire but I can't seem to sort it. The circuit worked fine previously!! Any ideas?

The new light comes with plastic connectors for the green/yellow and for the blue and brown.

There was no red tape on the wires!

Can anybody advise?

Yours Very Frustrated!!!

Sponsored Links
Is that 2 switches, one for each light, or 2 switches that control both lights at the same time?

Post a photo of the wires if you can

Sponsored Links
2nd light had 2 black wires and 1 red. I've put that back together as per the original. Obviously that's on at the same time as the other, but I'm content that I've not messed that end up!

No earth in the 2nd?, what re the blacks and red connected to on the light? Doesn't really make much sense, can you post photos of both sets of wire?

There was also a green/yellow earth. 2 blacks went together to blue and 1 red went to brown. I can do a photo later - thanks

What's the copper end look like on the single red, are there 2 wires or just 1?

Post a photo of the other light and also inside the switches if you can.

What happens if you connect the 2 reds to blue and the black to brown?
What happens is you've started advising the OP to try different combinations of connecting things up in the hope he gets lucky, rather than advising him to properly identify all of the wires and then connect them up knowing that it's right.

You should not do that.

rotate picture 90 degrees clockwise. It's the switch on the right only

Is that the only switch? I got the impression there were 2 separate switches with 2 way switching.

Connected a bulb this morning and all well. Light went off when turned off etc. My neighbour believes that the reason the light stayed on was due to me tripping the circuit and this causing the switch to stick on.

Hence this morning when it had cooled and been wired correct - all was well.

The use of his current metre thing helped provide reassurance this morning, needless to say I was embarrassed when it worked first time!

thanks for all help and guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back