Wiring routing in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting to think about the electrics in the replacement conservatory. Currently there's a single socket which is spurred from somewhere inside the consumer unit (I've not looked what it's connected to)

I've drawn a diagram of the layout. The existing sockets and wiring are in red. The green boxes are where I'd like to fit new sockets.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=109053983

Would the normal approach to run both legs of the the new ring from the CU, out from the position of the existing socket, then above both doorways, then around the dwarf wall to each socket? What happens at the French doors to the outside? Would I chase into the floor without breaching the damp proof membrane?

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Can you post pic here please. That link makes me have to sign up first!

See wiki on how to do it

Same here

Sponsored Links
Would the normal approach to run both legs of the the new ring from the CU

If you are wanting a new circuit yes, but it might be easier to extend an existing ring (lounge).

above both doorways, then around the dwarf wall to each socket? What happens at the French doors to the outside? Would I chase into the floor without breaching the damp proof membrane?

You need to keep the cable runs in safe zones around the walls. At the doors use earthed galv conduit in the floor between two sockets.

Looking at your diagram, if there is space in the cu I'd run a new 2.5mm T/E radial circuit on a 20amp mcb & bin the spur.
or
Remove the leg of lounge ring between cu & lounge socket then extend the lounge ringmain around the conservatory back to the spur socket & use this as the ring return leg to the cu (making sure circuit wont be over sized before hand of course).

Thanks comms. I'd considered extending the lounge ring, but a few things made the balance tip towards having a new ring:

1) the CU is so close
2) the conservatory will probably have a fan heater at some point, as there's no underfloor or central heating.
3) I plan to run a fused spur off the socket wiring to power the lights - more load.

At the doors use earthed galv conduit in the floor between two sockets.

Where would I get that - I can't see anything at screwfix. What happens when the conduit meets the bottom walls - will it be visible, or do I need to ensure the plaster is thick enough here to hide the riser?

Gary

Where would I get that
Any electrical wholesale counter.
But on second thougts if it's a diy job you wont have the tools needed.
So the radial circuit would be the way to go, that way you will not need to cross the door going outside.

What happens when the conduit meets the bottom walls - will it be visible, or do I need to ensure the plaster is thick enough here to hide the riser

I use a deeper backbox then chase the conduit into the dwafwalls and attatch the conduit to back box with a male bush not forgetting to fit an earth flylead from socket earth terminal to the terminal in rear of backbox.

okay - sounds like a radial is the way to go then. I take it the radial would feed the two sockets on the right of my diagram, and then I'd take a spur off to the feed the left hand one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back