wiring shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,i want to wire my shed with 5 sockets and two tubes running of a twin swicth how do i doit from the CU or? whats the best way. the shed bout 9metres away from the house please help.would be nice if u can show diagrams to.

Sponsored Links
Mosh..Firstly I must ask you several questions...

1: Are you fully aware of Part P of the Building Regs that require you to notify the Local Building Control of what your doing?

2: What equipment will you be running off the sockets in your shed as the total likely load will make a difference to the cable used to supply said shed?

3: What type of Mains do you have at the moment..is your consumer unit installed with FUSES or MCB's (Trip switches)?

4: Do you have any spare ways in the Consumer unit is order to install additional circuits?

5: Have you ever undertaken any work of this nature, that has required you to remove the cover of your consumer unit, in the past?

6: Do you truly understand the dangers that arise from doing the work that your considering?

Answer those questions and I am sure that members here can help you to overcome this problem safely, efficiently and effectively.

3a: i.e. is your supply TN-S, TN-C-S/PME or TT? See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=141310#141310 for details on the differences. This is important, as it can affect how you provide an earth in the shed.

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs...matters_electrical_installations_outdoors.pdf

4a:Also of interest is whether the spare way, if it exists, is RCD protected or not.

If you do a search here for words like shed, outbuilding, outside, garage etc, you'll find the answers you need.

I do have to say, however, that the work involved in laying a supply to a shed, routing the cable properly, terminating SWA, possibly having to install a submain etc, does not combine well with the lack of knowledge implied by your question...

thanks for the reply,am goin to turn the shed into a small workshop maybe run drills small heater things like that,i have a CU with trip fuses i think i have a spare gap i have to double check,can i run a spur from the kithchen to shed and go round, no i dont know bout building regs need to find everything out before i do nething,not realy done work on mains but 2days go added two sockets to my existing ring in the front room.inlighten me with knowledge. :)

Sponsored Links
mosh said:
can i run a spur from the kithchen to shed

No, i would suggest that as you are looking for information you do as suggested in previous post, use the search facility of this forum, look in electrics UK and use the words, shed, garage, out house and power

ban-all-sheds said:
3a: i.e. is your supply TN-S, TN-C-S/PME or TT? See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=141310#141310 for details on the differences. This is important, as it can affect how you provide an earth in the shed.

That question is not as relevent as you may suppose BAS, and considering the way the original question was posed it is highly unlikely that Mosh will know the difference bettwen them.

The EaADoS is something that can be addressed with a properly designed install regardless of the supply type.

ban-all-sheds said:
4a:Also of interest is whether the spare way, if it exists, is RCD protected or not.

Not of paricular relevence..what is of particular relevence is whether the board is an Old BS3036 type (Rewirable) BS1361 Cartridge Fuse type or BS 60898 MCB type.

The installtion to any outside supply should be RCD protected regardless and putting such a supply on the RCD side of a split load board would be a bad design due to the implications for the rest of the installation.

Big_Spark said:
That question is not as relevent as you may suppose BAS, and considering the way the original question was posed it is highly unlikely that Mosh will know the difference bettwen them.
Maybe not, but he should find out, and find out about it.

The EaADoS is something that can be addressed with a properly designed install regardless of the supply type.
So is the most appropriate design the same, for any supply type?

ban-all-sheds said:

Not of paricular relevence..what is of particular relevence is whether the board is an Old BS3036 type (Rewirable) BS1361 Cartridge Fuse type or BS 60898 MCB type.

The installtion to any outside supply should be RCD protected regardless and putting such a supply on the RCD side of a split load board would be a bad design due to the implications for the rest of the installation.
That's why I said it was also of interest....

mosh said:
thanks for the reply,am goin to turn the shed into a small workshop maybe run drills small heater things like that,i have a CU with trip fuses i think i have a spare gap i have to double check,can i run a spur from the kithchen to shed and go round, no i dont know bout building regs need to find everything out before i do nething,not realy done work on mains but 2days go added two sockets to my existing ring in the front room.inlighten me with knowledge. :)

Considering what you have posted here, you should allow a current rating of 40A for the total service as you intend to run power tools and a heater.

That will require you to run a 6mm² 3 core SWA (Steel Wire Armour) cable. This supply can only come from the Consumer unit or the origin of your supply. Either way it MUST be RCD protected.

Personally I would suugest that you Install a seperate 2 Module enclosure adjacent to your Consumer unit (This can be fed via the Consumer and a 63A MCB or directly by splitting your supply). Install a Type S 40A/300mA RCB (This is a time delayed RCD). From this feed the 6mm² SWA to the shed, there I would install a 6 way Enclosure. The Main switch I would make a 40A 100mA RCD. The lights on their own circuit protected by the 6A TYPE B MCB. Then install three small Radial circuits for power. Each of these I wire in 4mm² T&E would protect with 20A 30mA RCBO's.

You should ensure that any exposed metalwork in the shed is connected to Earth if you intend using it as you have stated.

From your original question I wonder if you are experienced enough, and frankly, electrically competent enough to undertake this work safely and effectively. If you have any concerns about this, I would suggest you consult a professional electrician as getting any of this wrong could be potentially very dangerous to yourself, and anyone else using the shed.

ban-all-sheds said:
So is the most appropriate design the same, for any supply type?

Yes..so long as the design in properly thought out. If there are any concerns regarding the earthing of the main installation then appropriate measures can be taken, however that is not something you or I are able to address on the net..you would need to inspect the installation and test the Earthing before making any firm conclusions.

It is for this very reason that I have a standard design for outbuildings, whether domestic or commercial, and that is basicaly what I have posted above..

i have not done this type of work i am a mechanic by trade but i hav built a shed dont know much bought domestic wiring freind of mine brother is a electrian i have asked him to come round and explain whats the best way to wire up my shed then i wil go from there il let u guys know how i get on,u guys r to clued up in this field i need to learn more dont realy understand your posts.

mosh said:
i need to learn more dont realy understand your posts.

then you have no chance of doin the work if you dont understand instructions.

As you have said

mosh said:
dont realy understand your posts.

i even suggested you try a search, if you can not understand something that simple, i suggest you let your electrician friend do the whole job for you, but that you offer to navvy for him, since to do the job properly he will need a trench digging in which to lay the cable*

* unless you have a wall, which i doubt

am going to run the cable on the wall not in the ground i am going to dig the groung for concreating bu t dont wantto run cable in the ground,what size wire do i run from the CU whats rcd where do i fit that can i not run a ring in the shed its a brick shed not wood.i hav a socket near the swith for the lights can i run a spur from the socket to the switch into a junction box the to the tubes.

i wish you would read the replies posted rather than post again asking questions you have already asked to which replies have been given

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back