Wiring to extension

28 May 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need some advice please. There is a single floor extension to our house and whoever did the electrics has taken 4 mm cable from a junction box on the existing ring to feed two double sockets in the extension i.e. both on the same spur but on heavier cable. Is this legal? Should this extra wiring be on a fused spur?
Sponsored Links
Putting a fuse on it would make it more compliant. Its not immediately dangerous as they've used 4mm² cable which is protected by the 32A MCB, but make it "normal" and make it a fused spur.
Thanks for the reply Crafty. I understand how the uprated cable keeps it safe but I think it would have been better if the electrician had just extended the house ring to cover the extension. It seems to me a bit of a bodge job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links