Wiring up a night heater (car not truck, water not air)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Bus is a serial communication system that allows the various computors in the vehicle to talk to each other and exchange information.

If your heater has a can bus connection then it also has "intelligence" and will be looking for certain information before it will allow itself to be fired up. Unless you can provide that information is a stream of serial data then it ia unlikely you will be able to use the heater.

Sponsored Links
If you include the safety devices in "basically bypassing everything ells." then you could be putting yourself and others in the van at risk
I appreciate what you have quoted there from the manufactures web site.
But they always say that don't they! So you buy a new one from them or have them do all the work
An example of this scam is; there are people selling LPG to gas conversion valves so you can fill your gas bottle up from the forecourts on LPG and save a lot of money then taking it back and swapping it for another calor gas bottle
the 'calor gas' company are making a thing about it now, saying doing this is illegal and could result in a prison sentence etc etc. But sellers are still selling the valves
So do not be fooled by this fascist old health and safety sales crap!

But just out of coincidence I phoned the Webastos head office at dony this afternoon
And the guy I spoke to said that nothing can be by-passed he said, as you can wire the live and earth wires up to a battery
But nothing will happen because you require a signal wire from the cars ECU and only the VW modal that it was installed into at the factory will have this installed into the ECU and furthermore only VW will have the driver for it

Now I have replaced injector pumps of diesel engines from other used engines that are the same modal out of the scrap yard before
Swapped over or taken out and bypassed the security fuel solenoid that received a signal from the immobilizers
Yes with great difalaty***** and using someone ells tools but things like this can be done!
No doubt the manufacture will say it can't be done and a new pump will have to be ordered from one of there deals and a charge will be added for coding the pump, and of course they will finally frighten you with fascist bull **** of how it's illegal it's unsafe

Will try and take some photos of the pump over the weekend though

Can Bus is a serial communication system that allows the various computors in the vehicle to talk to each other and exchange information.

If your heater has a can bus connection then it also has "intelligence" and will be looking for certain information before it will allow itself to be fired up. Unless you can provide that information is a stream of serial data then it ia unlikely you will be able to use the heater.
Will the can-bus not come out of the unit?

Last edited:
I can now see part of the diagram from the link you provided
All I did was to open it with the PDF viewer of my choice, zoom in until it was large enough. What have you been doing?

But I fail to see where the brn red/yel are on the diagram or the pur/ora, pur/yel, or the ora/brn
I can see plenty of brown, but the only two-colour wire on the bit I snapshot is red/white. There are almost certainly other colours shown in other parts of the diagram.

My laptop keeps crashing when opening a PDF file
But the colors are all abbreviated in German
So say there is the red and white wire there. but there is no red and white wire on my pump so I dont see what I am suppoed to be looking at in this diagram

Sponsored Links

Will the can-bus not come out?
My laptop keeps crashing when opening a PDF file
Well sort that out then. FGS.

But the colors are all abbreviated in German
Imagine that, a German product uses German words for colours. You'll have to find out what they are, won't you. FGS.
What's an FGS then?

What good would that do ? The intelligence ( micro processor ) that controls the heater seems to need the Can Bus to get information from other parts of the vehicle. Remove that intelligence and it is unlikely the heater will work, or if it did it might be dangerous to use it.

What good would that do ? The intelligence ( micro processor ) that controls the heater seems to need the Can Bus to get information from other parts of the vehicle. Remove that intelligence and it is unlikely the heater will work, or if it did it might be dangerous to use it.
So are you saying the cam-bus controls the burner and not the pump?

An example of this scam is;
Do you say that it's a scam because of deep technical knowledge, or because you want it to be one?

there are people selling LPG to gas conversion valves so you can fill your gas bottle up from the forecourts on LPG and save a lot of money then taking it back and swapping it for another calor gas bottle
the 'calor gas' company are making a thing about it now, saying doing this is illegal and could result in a prison sentence etc etc.
It might well be illegal. Do you know that it isn't? Actually know, I mean?

But sellers are still selling the valves
The world is full of things you can buy but not legally use, or not legally use for some purposes.

I could go and buy a 12" cook's knife from John Lewis, and drive home with it in my car and not commit an offence. If I were to drive around with a 12" cook's knife living permanently in my door pocket I would be committing an offence.

What's wrong with you?

So do not be fooled by this fascist old health and safety sales crap!
If it's not fascist old health and safety sales crap (and so far you have not demonstrated any behaviour concomitant with someone who would know if it were), what's the worst that could happen?

But just out of coincidence I phoned the Webastos head office at dony this afternoon
And the guy I spoke to said that nothing can be by-passed he said, as you can wire the live and earth wires up to a battery
But nothing will happen because you require a signal wire from the cars ECU and only the VW modal that it was installed into at the factory will have this installed into the ECU and furthermore only VW will have the driver for it
So people here have told you this might be the case, and now the maker of the equipment has told you that it is the case.

But you don't want that to be so, do you.

Now I have replaced injector pumps of diesel engines from other used engines that are the same modal out of the scrap yard before
Swapped over or taken out and bypassed the security fuel solenoid that received a signal from the immobilizers
Yes with great difalaty***** and using someone ells tools but things like this can be done!
Good for you.

And that is relevant to the installation of a fuel burning appliance in a confined space how, exactly?

No doubt the manufacture will say it can't be done and a new pump will have to be ordered from one of there deals and a charge will be added for coding the pump, and of course they will finally frighten you with fascist bull **** of how it's illegal it's unsafe
So have I summed this up accurately?:

• You can't get your computer to show you installation manuals.
  • You refuse to deal with the fact that German instructions will contain German names for colours.
  • You won't believe people here when they tell you that it might not work without the right data using the right protocol over the right interface.
  • You won't believe the manufacturer when they tell you that it will not work without the right data using the right protocol over the right interface.
  • You won't believe people here when they tell you that it might be dangerous to force a fuel burning appliance to work in a confined space in circumstances for which it was never designed.
  • You won't believe the manufacturer when they tell you that it might be dangerous to force a fuel burning appliance to work in a confined space in circumstances for which it was never designed.
  • You regard any messages to the effect of "it won't work", or "it might be dangerous" as fascist old health and safety sales crap bullshit.

If you are wrong, but do force it to burst into life, who might end up dead or brain damaged? If it's just you some might see that as a welcome cleaning of the gene pool.

What's an FGS then?
FGS.

If you want to do things using CAN bus equipment then you will have to learn about the protocol(s) and interface(s) used.

It's been around for 30 years, and in production vehicles for 28, so I'm sure the Internet must be awash with information on it. If you can read it.

I cannot say what is controlled by ( or is dependent on ) information the unit receives via the Can Bus.

The bottom line is that there will almost certainly be safety interlocks between the heater and the car / truck when the heater is properly and safely installed in the vehicle it has been programmed for. I would image that one safety interlock relates to whether the vehicle is moving or stationary.

there are people selling LPG to gas conversion valves so you can fill your gas bottle up from the forecourts on LPG
which creates a hazard on the forecourts. Before Calor re-fill a bottle they inspect the bottle and its valve for damage and / or wear and tear to ensure it is safe to use.

and probably also from the collision detection system so that the engine is shut down automatically in a serious accident.

If it's not fascist old health and safety sales crap (and so far you have not demonstrated any behaviour concomitant with someone who would know if it were), what's the worst that could happen?
You really don't keep up with the world do you

Mine and just my opinion is that some on hear are making a scam out of this whole thing;
ow look at me I am so professionally qualified to do the job and he is not there for he/she is working illegally

So people here have told you this might be the case, and now the maker of the equipment has told you that it is the case.
But you don't want that to be so, do you.
No see my other posts

And no you have not summed this up correct you arrogant !£$%&#
My PC has a problem ahole
I dont speak Germand OK!
As to the gene pool, go boil your head!!

It's been around for 30 years, and in production vehicles for 28, so I'm sure the Internet must be awash with information on it. If you can read it.
Not asking for your help pal

Last edited:
Why not just get a good old fashioned mains powered block heater? Little hassle in comparison.
Because we have no mains electric

The bottom line is that there will almost certainly be safety interlocks between the heater and the car / truck when the heater is properly and safely installed in the vehicle it has been programmed for. I would image that one safety interlock relates to whether the vehicle is moving or stationary.
Is this more like a safety cut off switch or circuit braker?

which creates a hazard on the forecourts. Before Calor re-fill a bottle they inspect the bottle and its valve for damage and / or wear and tear to ensure it is safe to use.
A visual inspection

and probably also from the collision detection system so that the engine is shut down automatically in a serious accident.
Not an ECU engine; but I would not panic too much about these little you know whaters; coz when the engine gets to OAP that is when things like sensors give way and the engine just packs up for no reason so macanics just bypass the bloody rubbish anyway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back