Wiring Nest thermostat, no existing room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought our first home and it currently has no room thermostat. The heating and hot water is controlled solely by an old Drayton LP112 programmer in the airing cupboard and TRVs on all the radiators (apart from the towel rails in the bathroom and downstairs shower room).

I'd like to install a Nest thermostat and before I fork out £80 to have it installed I wanted to see if it was something I could get my head around and do myself. Much research and learning how my current heating system works, I think I've figured it all out but thought I'd post on here to make sure I've not missed anything.

I managed to track down the following diagram on the Drayton website which helped me identify each terminal and connection:

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=28350

What I've figured out:

* I have a Y-Plan system. All the connections terminate in a junction box in the airing cupboard. The connections almost entirely match up with the mid-port valve schematic in the above document.
* I have mains power coming in through an isolator/switch which terminates on the L, N and E terminals (1, 2 and 3).
* The programmer is connected to L, N, E, the common terminals for heating (4) and water (6) and the satisfied terminal for water, 8.
* The mid-position valve and cylinder stat are wired exactly as above.
* The boiler cable has some additional wires and seems to be connected to the boiler pump live via a connecting block - I'm assuming this is because the boiler (Baxi Solo 2 PF) is a pump overrun boiler and controls the pump directly.
* There is a red jumper between terminals 4 and 5 - I assume this connection would normally be made between common and call for heat in the room stat but as there isn't one, a permanent connection is made so whenever the programmer turns the heating on, a call for heat is sent.

Does this all sound good so far?

The Nest wiring diagrams show that the Heat Link needs a permanent L and N (no E) and also has a Common and Call for Heat terminal. It also has two low voltage terminals T1 and T2 that can be used to power the Nest stat itself (lets ignore those for now as I will probably plug the stat in using its USB adaptor).

It appears I have two options for wiring this up:

1. Just like any other room stat in the schematic above. I would need to use 4 core cable to connect the permanent L and N from terminals 1 and 2 in the junction box to L and N in the Heat Link, and link the common and call for heat terminals to terminals 4 and 5 in the junction box. I would then remove the existing jumper between 4 and 5 in the junction box. The programmer would need to be set to leave the heating ON rather than TIMED to enable the Nest to fully control the CH.

2. I can connect L, N and call for heat as above, but connect a small jumper cable between L and C in the Heat Link to permanently enable its heating circuit and thus bypass the programmer for CH completely. The programmer setting would have no effect.

In both cases the programmer would continue to control the hot water.

So:

* Have I figured this out correctly?
* Are the two methods for wiring up the Nest correct?
* Which one should I choose? It seems like the former would allow me to still turn the heating off entirely at the programmer whereas the latter would be simpler and would mean just one device is responsible for CH control.
* If I go with the latter approach, I can re-use the small jumper lead currently in the junction box between 4 and 5 to jumper the L and C terminals in the Heat Link. For the remaining connections, I assume I'd need 3 core and earth? If so, how would I terminate the earth? I can terminate it to the earth terminal in the junction box end but the Heat Link has no earth.

Oh, one more thing: the cylinder stat wiring confused me for a moment - it is connected to terminals 6, 7 and 8 as in the above schematic using blue, brown and green/yellow wires respectively. Has somebody been a bit lazy and just used normal T+E to wire this up and the earth wire is being used for the hot water satisfied link - my understanding is that earth wiring should never be used for anything other than that.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Nest is a waste of time. Not the first internet stat by a long way, only thing that is Apple-like is the look of it. Ask yourself why the guy no longer works for Apple - or just read the manual to understand.

Fit a Honeywell Evohome, infinitely superior in operation, ergonomics and energy saving potential.

If your have no thermostat, the nest requires 12v to charge the internal battery.

The nest uses the old wiring to charge the battery, so you need to plug it into a power outlet with the supplied power adaptor.

If your have no thermostat, the nest requires 12v to charge the internal battery.

The nest uses the old wiring to charge the battery, so you need to plug it into a power outlet with the supplied power adaptor.

Yes, I realise this - I mentioned that in my original post. I could also run appropriate cable from the T1/T2 terminals in the Heat Link from the airing cupboard down the same route as the wire to the boiler under the stairs and wire it up to that if I want as well but I will probably just plug it in.

Sponsored Links
Nest is a waste of time. Not the first internet stat by a long way, only thing that is Apple-like is the look of it. Ask yourself why the guy no longer works for Apple - or just read the manual to understand.

Fit a Honeywell Evohome, infinitely superior in operation, ergonomics and energy saving potential.

No offence, but I didn't ask for an opinion on the Nest, just the wiring. I realise Nest isn't the only option out there and I haven't 100% settled on it and have considered Evohome amongst other things.

Whatever room stat I choose to fit, I'd presumably have to wire it up in a similar fashion to the Nest control box anyway so I'd still like to know if my assessment of the wiring is correct.

There is a red jumper between terminals 4 and 5 - I assume this connection would normally be made between common and call for heat in the room stat but as there isn't one, a permanent connection is made so whenever the programmer turns the heating on, a call for heat is sent.
Correct. Terminal 4 is the live supply from the programmer for central heating 'on' that would normally go to the room thermostat and 5 is the return from the thermostat that is connected to the white wire of the motorised valve which when live, moves the valve to the central heating position.

It appears I have two options for wiring this up: 1. Just like any other room stat in the schematic above. I would need to use 4 core cable to connect the permanent L and N from terminals 1 and 2 in the junction box to L and N in the Heat Link, and link the common and call for heat terminals to terminals 4 and 5 in the junction box. I would then remove the existing jumper between 4 and 5 in the junction box. The programmer would need to be set to leave the heating ON rather than TIMED to enable the Nest to fully control the CH.
This is correct.

2. I can connect L, N and call for heat as above, but connect a small jumper cable between L and C in the Heat Link to permanently enable its heating circuit and thus bypass the programmer for CH completely. The programmer setting would have no effect.
Also correct

In both cases the programmer would continue to control the hot water.
Correct again.

Which method you choose is up to you. Personally I would choose the second and let the Nest control all of the heating parameters from the one point. Then in the future you can change the LP112 for a single channel programmer for just the hot water.

If the Nest doesn't need an earth simply insulate the earth wire in a screw terminal and tuck it out of the way.

The cylinder stat wiring where the earth wire is used as a live is not good practice, as you suspect. I wouldn't do it, but it's common and seen frequently. T&E is not suitable for termination at a cylinder thermostat either, it would normally be heat resistant flex.

Brilliant, thanks a lot for that stem. Now I just need to make my mind up on the stat. I've ruled out Evohome - looks great but a bit pricey for our needs. Its a toss up between Nest and Tado to be honest.

I have Nest in a dual-zone system.

I considered other options before jumping on that bandwagon. I can genuinely recommend it. The interface is pleasant, the clicks are nice when you manually turn it. I like the turn-on as you approach function. The appearance is nice (please, I haven't got any other Apple products, so it's not a 'cool' / sheep thing). The app is good too. It's all rather customisable. The learning feature is pretty good, but you might want to check what it thinks it has learned and correct it via schedules, which you can do. The integration with IFTTT is also quite cool... you can have a scenario where your LIFX lights do something (turn blue when it goes cold) or flash orange when heating with that IFTTT integration between Nest and LIFX (and other things, of course).

I looked at Tado. I dismissed it for a number of reasons I'll not go into as I don't want to rubbish anyone's products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back