Wiring up underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Currently have an extension and renovation project ongoing. The plan is to install wet underfloor heating in the new kitchen and utility room which will run of the existing central heating system (s-plan) as a third zone. (zone 1 Hot water, zone 2, existing rads). Extension too large to use a "one-room" u/f pack so plumber is supplying manifold with pump, control valves etc.

Question .... can the underfloor circulating pump simply be wired in parallel with the zone valve for this part of the system, or must something clever be put in to ensure that u/f pump over runs for a given period after the stat stops calling for heat.

That is ... is an expensive u/f specific wiring centre required or can the existing (simple set of terminal blocks) be reused

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All the instructions/wiring come in the ufh pack afa I have ever seen. A programmable room thermostat often suits.

Sponsored Links
You need a relay to control UFH pump.

Perhaps my glass of 15% wine is dulling my thought processes but I dont see why a relay should be required.

However, due to the long thermal inertia of UFH a better form of control than a simple room stat is preferable.

Tony

True, optimising programmable ones are better - still only about £50, and you still have to set them to come on early!

As per normal S-Plan I had planned to put a stat and a programmer or programmable stat in series with zone valve power terminals and use the other set of terminals on the valve to give a volt free swich to the boiler. Question was do I simply wire the UHF pump in parallel with the zone valve power terminals so UFH pump runs whenever stat calls for heat. Answer appears to be yes.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back