Wiring without colour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, total DIY noob here hoping to get some help with a project.
I'm moving into a house in France and found out several of my plug sockets weren't working. I took a look and the wires have simply gotten loose from the screws holding them in place and need to be reattached.
However, my problem is that rather then having the traditional blue=live brown=neutral wires, I have instead two red and two blue wires.
Obviously I don't know which wire to attach to which terminal.
Has anybody had this problem before? Anyway to know which wire is which without ripping them all out? Can I use "trial and error" or will wiring up the plug incorrectly cause some sort of damage?
Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In France the blue should always be neutral, so then we assume the red is live as the often use other colours for live.

Earth = yellow and green combined
Neutral = blue
Live = anything else apart from yellow or green

France has both French and German sockets. The French ones are polarity sensitive like ours the German ones are not. Because there is a mixture of two systems and the RCD was fitted well before we fitted them in the UK most items have duel pole switching so it does not matter which way around with many items having plugs that will fit in either type of socket.

All new equipment has to be designed for use in whole of Europe but some older stuff designed for UK could have single pole switching.

For the UK sockets we have plug in testers to check which way around the wires are not sure if there is a similar tester for French.

Seem to remember the French socket has an earth pin sticking out of the socket the German uses two clips to the side of the socket. Both also seem to have sockets without earth connected as well.

Sponsored Links
Back