Wirquin Jollyfill toilet system continually overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just developed a problem with our toilet continuing to let in water after the flush has done its action.

I've got as far as working out that the flush system is a Wirquin Jollyfill telescopic bottom entry inlet valve (pic below). Also had a look at the installation instructions on Wirquin's site but couldn't find any troubleshooting sections so can't work out which part is likely to be causing the problem.

Obviously something's not sealing properly but don't know which bit and how I get to it to replace or clean up. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

20150722103621232_zpszbkglp4n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Take it water continues to run into the pan? If you wedge the float left hand bit of the toilet in the upright postion water no longer enters the cistern but water escapes via the bit in the middle. If this is the case then perhaps a bit of crude under the dealing washer

Just been looking for more info and this system looks like it has a diaphragm washer (if that's what you mean by dealing washer?) which seems to cause this problem. Can I access this easily to check or do I have to extract everything?

They do that...my experience of the Jollyfill gear is that it appears to be made of cheese and doesn't last five minutes. Chuck it out and buy a Fluidmaster Pro from Screwfix

Sponsored Links
Take it water continues to run into the pan? If you wedge the float left hand bit of the toilet in the upright postion water no longer enters the cistern but water escapes via the bit in the middle. If this is the case then perhaps a bit of crude under the dealing washer
Yes water continues to run into pan.

Lifted up the left hand float as suggested and of course it functioned as normal! Flushed out again and let it run on its own and the problem occurred again. Did another release and again held the float up but this time the water continued to flow in.

The cistern's really slim so it's hard to see what's going on below the float.

They do that...my experience of the Jollyfill gear is that it appears to be made of cheese and doesn't last five minutes. Chuck it out and buy a Fluidmaster Pro from Screwfix
Not a lot of space to work in and I just know this would be a sod to replace so would obviously prefer a simpler solution. Disagree about lasting five minutes, more like five years here! Might have just got lucky with this one though :).

Just want to get this straight - the fill valve, on the left, is not shutting off and continues to let water into the cistern and the water is then overflowing over the top of the flush valve in the centre and running down into the pan?

If so then yes, the diaphram washer is probably knackered, you can get a replacement.

Turn off the water, unscrew the grey nut under the lever mechanism and the washer is in there.

Just want to get this straight - the fill valve, on the left, is not shutting off and continues to let water into the cistern and the water is then overflowing over the top of the flush valve in the centre and running down into the pan?

If so then yes, the diaphram washer is probably knackered, you can get a replacement.

Turn off the water, unscrew the grey nut under the lever mechanism and the washer is in there.
Yep that's exactly it and got it working again. Unscrewed the grey nut, found the washer and flipped it out of the mount, gave the whole thing a good clean and bingo!

The water does just start to go over the overfill pipe before shutting off so there's a few seconds of trickle into the basin. Could be something out of line but it's working now so not going to tinker any further.

Thanks.

I have a fixed jolly filler, I removed and washed the diaphragm washer and this made a huge difference, however after 5 min there is a tiny trickle of water into pan.

I think I might need to clean filter at bottom however it is a closed couple toilet so I'm worried I need to take out whole toilet. Is this correct or can I just take off cistern...also how do I do that rusty looking white buttons on inside at bottom.

Thanks in advance

Recently, my Wirquin Jollyfill single flush had also been giving problems overflowing and that cover over the filling mechanism was quite intimidating. It does not come apart easily and here's what I did. The process of removing the whole filler mechanism follows... Closed the water and flushed the cilstern. Diconnected the inlet house, removed the sealing nut on the outside, catching the remaining water. Took that cover off: sat on a step with elbows on knees. Some hard pulling, with wiggling, separated the cover. The little red lever went flying but no damage was incurred. There's a raised circle somewhere in the middle that fits snugly over the locknut's sharp edge. Some filing on the locknut and sanding of the circular ridge seemed to improve things. (Post-production modification.) Next time I need to remove it, all it will take will be a little manipulation of the cover to get a 10mm flat screwdriver under it. Due to space constraints, the screwdriver will have to be a stubby or an elbow and a ninety degree twist will get it loose. Yes, there has been a dry run. The screwdriver is inserted just left of the pipe near the base of the cover.

The actual cause of the problem was the filter failing. There was a crack to one side of a vertical vane, with dirt still wedged in it. To fill the crack, I smoothed the vane over it with a large, hot soldering iron. After all this, the cistern filled at lightning speed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back