Water keeps flowing after flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post. Sorry if it’s a bit long.

The water in my push button toilet (only one year old) keeps running after a full flush. This does not happen if I do a short flush. The valve is a Macdee 1.5” / 2.0” Kayla Cable Operated Dual Flush Outlet Valve. It’s in a ‘Toilet to Go’ from Screwfix.

According to the Trouble Shooting instructions, I need to clean the seal by removing the valve from the cistern. I followed the instructions but the valve does not want to come out easily and I do not want to put too much pressure on it in case I break it.

However, I noticed that when I lifted the cistern lid and unclipped the button assembly I heard a clunking noise and the water stopped flowing into the pan.

I find that if I flush the toilet by pushing a pencil into the hole in the cable housing and press the white plastic thing, the toilet works perfectly. If I reattach the cable housing to the button assembly and replace the cistern lid, the water still keeps running after a full flush.

It seems to me that the problem lies with the push button assembly and not the seal. I have tried phoning Wirquin in Doncaster who appear to be the distributors but never get an answer from their customer service department even after leaving messages on their answer phone.

Can somebody please help sort this out? I've linked to photos below -

//www.diynot.com/network/bohma2000/albums/

Sponsored Links
Is the cable kinked/twisted at all? This will impede movement of the wire. (It's like a bike brake cable.)
The fact that it works when you are holding it and poking it with a pencil makes me ask the above. No doubt you are holding it with the cable fairly straight.

Edit: Just looked at your pictures. The valve needs fitting 45° anti-clockwise to how it is now and the cable running through the 'empty' end of the cistern. It looks like the cable is catching on the inlet valve when you replace the lid.

Sponsored Links
Just looked at your pictures. The valve needs fitting 45° anti-clockwise to how it is now and the cable running through the 'empty' end of the cistern. It looks like the cable is catching on the inlet valve when you replace the lid (which obviously you can't see).

Fit a flapper valve.

Fluidmaster_flapper_valve_complete.gif

Not sure if rotating the valve will solve it - it did work OK as it is for a year. Replacing the valve will be a problem as it looks as if the cistern has been glued to the box behind it! :eek:

As far as I can make out, the white thing (for want of a better description) inside the cable housing that I press down with a pencil to flush is not returning fully to its 'up position' when the housing is connected to the button assembly. I tried spraying the inside of the cable assembly with WD40 but it had no effect.

Firmly grasp the flush valve and give it a twist anti clockwise it will then lift out.
You should be able to put it back the opposite side so the cable is on the other side of the cistern.

I've also prised the white top off this valve and added a couple of own made tiny lead clips clipping them on side of the the plunger itself (to give it a little more weight) this as been successful.

These flush valves were introduced to the UK on the pretension of saving water! Bah!
servotech,

I mentioned in an earlier post that if I twist the valve anti-clockwise it does seem to unlock but it does not easily lift out. I didnt put any pressure on it to lift it out as I was fearful of breaking something.

I also suspect that this valve works by hydraulics and not cable.

I am now wondering if the pressure between the rubber seal and the valve is holding it and if with a firm upwards motion it will come out.

If this is the case I could buy a replacement valve and just slot it in. The instruction manual is here
http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p47111874.pdf

and better photos are here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350810496651?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Had the same trouble with one that was installed two years ago.
After a little messing around found the trigger unit that clips on to the control button was sticking due i think to cleaning fluid dropping down from the top.I simply cleaned it and spayed with silicone spray and now works better than ever.No need to mod and no need to replace.

Hi

Had an identical problem with a two year old cistern from Victoria Plumb. After removing the flush valve and push button assembly could not figure out the cause. Found this thread and the silicone spray suggestion above worked like a treat.

I know it's a very old thread but thought to add reply if it helps someone else out there. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back