Wiska junction boxes and glands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I purchased some Wiska 308 junction boxes and non-Wiska glands (16mm).

I have only used Wiska boxes once before and don't recall having a problem when trying to screw the gland in but I can't remember which glands I used. Should the glands have been larger than 16mm? I ended up trying to smash through the opening with a small screwdriver because I couldn't get the gland to screw in. I then discovered that I have cross threaded it and the otherwise unnecessary back nut will be a pig to fit.

I appreciate that Wiska claim that their boxes are IP whatever without needing to use a gland, but I would feel more confident using compression glands. I am also aware that their sales patter says that back nuts are needed because the knockout holes are threaded, but in my case the one gland that I have managed to fit sits at a slightly jaunty angle..

Sponsored Links
Holes are usually M20, not 16.

Thanks Flameport, that might explain why I couldn't screw them in. I had intended to buy the Wiska glands but Amazon had a delay on them so I purchased the cross sale recommendation.

Mea culpa.

Sponsored Links
Just checked the specs, yup they should have been M20 so Amazon are delivering some today.

As an aside. Each of the junction boxes are supplied by very old T&E. I will be drilling holes in the back of the boxes for the cables and squirting in some silicone. I do however recall seeing glands which have a rectangular (rather than round) cable insert collars. Does anyone know where they can be sourced. There may be the odd occasion where I cannot simply insert the T&E in to the back of the box and many need to feed in in via a gland on the bottom of the box.

Tnx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back