Wobbling monitor display

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The screen on my monitor is unsteady and I suppose best described as wobbling. I can't find anything in the troubleshooting section of the manual to help me. Is there anything I can do to try and rectify it, or is the problem fatal? :(

Sponsored Links
get a new monitor.

they can be repaired, but the cost involved V a new one, not worth it. Also a monitor has several thousand volts inside driving the tube, so its best not to even think about trying to fix it your self

Thanks for the response. I suspected that may be the case.

geoffd said:
Thanks for the response. I suspected that may be the case.

Sounds like the line output transistor, will probably go for some time yet then intermittently start failing, so really, as soon as you can get a new one do so. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Not sure of your circumatstnaces but make sure the monitor is not very close to heavy duty mains equipment, ie transformers or chargers. A colleague of mine had this problem, we discovered it was because there was a large fork lift truck charger the other side of the wall directly behind his montor :!: .

Have you got speakers mounted either side of the monitor?

Have you tried lowering the resolution? If the problem occurs at high res, could either be graphics adaptor not up to the job, or your monitor is not supplying a stable HT supply

But as previously mentioned, unless it's an all singing and all dancing type, multi-hundred pounder (Sterling that is), then not viable for repair these days. A LOPT, if you can find one, will probably cost you £60!

Have you tried reducing the refresh frequency?

I had flicky edges on my Monitor and reduced the refresh frequency and it solved the problem.

Just a thought?

check your resolution and refresh rate as suggested, dont just go out and buy a new screen.. things might be set to high for the monitor

nstreet said:
Not sure of your circumatstnaces but make sure the monitor is not very close to heavy duty mains equipment, ie transformers or chargers. A colleague of mine had this problem, we discovered it was because there was a large fork lift truck charger the other side of the wall directly behind his montor :!: .
agreed with nstreet also another unshielded monitor too close to it will cause it to wobble

some new flat screens do wobble if you bump them,I wont use them,you can also see two fine lines across the screen,they are no where as good as the cathode ray tubes

aussie1 said:
some new flat screens do wobble if you bump them,I wont use them,you can also see two fine lines across the screen,they are no where as good as the cathode ray tubes

These are Cathode Ray Tube monitors, but using trinitron technology developed by Sony. Instead of a fixed shadow mask used in conventional monitors/TVs, they use a suspended aperture grill. The two lines you can see are wires used to stabilise the grill. If you tap the screen, they will wobble a bit.

It depends on the brand. Some monitors have very noticeable wires (most of my family use Iiyama flat CRTs and they are quite noticeable to me).

But the IBM branded flat CRT that I have at work seems to have "invisible" wires!

I'm being pedantic here (moi? ;) ) but Flat-screen CRT and Sony Trinitron are not the same technology: a Trinitron screen is not neccessarily completely flat. However, the Trinitron did introduce the two wire concept, in order to prevent the aperture mask from vibrating and blocking the electron gun.

Until the last 5 years or so Sony Trinitrons were flat in one direction only, i.e. the screen was cylindrical instead of spherical. I think it was the Sony Wega that was the first truly flat CRT, this does incorporate Trinitron technology. :D

I have a Wega and I can't see any wires no matter how hard I look. ;)

AdamW said:
It depends on the brand. Some monitors have very noticeable wires (most of my family use Iiyama flat CRTs and they are quite noticeable to me).

But the IBM branded flat CRT that I have at work seems to have "invisible" wires!

I'm being pedantic here (moi? ;) ) but Flat-screen CRT and Sony Trinitron are not the same technology: a Trinitron screen is not neccessarily completely flat. However, the Trinitron did introduce the two wire concept, in order to prevent the aperture mask from vibrating and blocking the electron gun.

Until the last 5 years or so Sony Trinitrons were flat in one direction only, i.e. the screen was cylindrical instead of spherical. I think it was the Sony Wega that was the first truly flat CRT, this does incorporate Trinitron technology. :D

I have a Wega and I can't see any wires no matter how hard I look. ;)
can't be looking hard enough, what about the one out the back plugging into the wall socket :LOL:

kendor said:
can't be looking hard enough, what about the one out the back plugging into the wall socket :LOL:

Whenever I try to move it to a different part of the room it will only go a few feet and then won't go any further no matter how hard I pull. I had a look behind it, thanks to Kendor's suggestion and there it was, a wire going from the TV to the wall. Now it was a simple affair to get the TV to move: I got a pair of scissors, cut through this restrictive cable then moved the TV, put a new plug on, replaced the fuse at the CU and it works fine.

What do I do with the old cable? It must be pretty sharp metal as when I touch the end it hurts. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back