Wobbly newell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm thinking of replacing my staircase handrail and spindles soon. The current one is 'getting on' a bit and the newell ( think that's what's it called ) is wobbbly at the top of the stairs through years of wear and tear .

Any idea how this might be secured in place? ,and how I might get it out ? And secondly- any idea how much a tradesman might charge to replace the handrail and spindles with something similar but more modern. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Mike

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of fairly common methods in my experience; firstly the newel post can be screwed/bolted sideways into the trimmer, often in conjunction with a locating notch cut away on the opposite side of the post to provide a ledge on which the post sits or the newel post can have the bottom end reduced to form a tenon which sits into a hole cut through the trimmer and again screws or bolts usd to secure it in place. There are other techniques, though. The screw or bolt holes are often hidden by wooden pellets glued into them which are then trimmed off with a block plane, and so are often all but invisible. These screws/bolts are obviously below the finished floor level and often well hidden

Thanks for replying Any idea what a tradesman would charge to replace the entire handrail and spindles? It's a basic stair hand rail, no horizontal sections or anything like that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back