Wolf sander brushes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 100mm Wolf belt sander that I quite like. Very heavy. However, it's sparking like mad at the moment and I guess it needs new brushes. Anyone have any idea how much they would be to get fitted? The sander only cost £44 so I don't really want to spend more than about £20. Model WBS100.

Sponsored Links
Forget about that one. The sparking is probably a sign of the armature being shot. New sander by the looks of things. :cry:

has it been stored in a cold damp shed over winter

if so the carbon brushes may have glazed over so a quick rub with emery or extremly fine file to remove the surface layer
and clean the commutator with silver polish or brasso
make sure all residue is removed from brushes and commutator
it will still spark a bit untill the brushes bed in again

Yes it has. I'll give that a go - nothing to lose now. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just condemned an electric motor with the same problem. Before you clean the commutator, examine it very closely and make sure that the copper bars are all equally dirty and there are not a pair of contacts that are darker or smoky looking. What happens is that one of the 40 or so coils has a short in it and draws excessive current causing the sparking. If the machine stops with these contacts under the brushes it won't restart until it finds some working coils and contacts.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back