Belt Sander - are the Carbon Brushes at fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a belt sander Toledo TBS-800 Screwfix own -that has just started 'missing', a few blue sparks - sometimes starts, misses then splutters into life, then not at all.
It is a few years old and has been a very robust and good cheapo. Otherwise it is fine, I have loads of sanding belts so would like to keep it if ok..

Does it sound like carbon brush problems? I have located them and they don't appear particularly worn But what length should they be anyway?
This isn't the first time with similar symptoms. I had the router and bought new brushes, not cheap with postage - it made no difference !!

Now with the belt sander I want to understand if it could be the brushes or might it be a switch or other??

Your help would be much appreciated.Many thank

Sponsored Links
It's usually the windings when it starts flashing. Sanders don't have a overly long life.

if the commutator (the part the brush sits on) is dirty its possible they are not making contact properly.Try cleaning it with either some wire wool or fine emery cloth, power off of course!

i personally wouldn't go near the commutator with anything more abrasive than brasso or silver polish
and emery to the brushes to de-glaze them

but as said if its one dead section then its not the brushes

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but if the machine fails to start, keep it switched on and swivel the mains cable where it enters the machine.....occasionally the wire conductor severs inside the cable insulation.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back