Woman finds dog after tornado

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
http://news.sky.com/story/1093711/tornado-survivor-finds-dog-during-tv-interview

Not once did she complain about losing her house and all her belongings, all she seemed to have on her mind was her poor dog although she'd accepted it had probably perished too and then to find it burried in the rubble and still alive, like she said - 2 miracles happened that day, the house can be rebuilt but you could tell that dog was her world

I find no shame in admitting a shead a tear during that clip :(

Sponsored Links
Yeh-- that was nice .
Remember a dog is a mans/womans best friend.

Dogs are loyal - more loyal in fact than most people .
I'm glad she still has her buddy.

I can only imagine the joy she must feel after such a terrible disaster.

Yeah all that carnage, dead children, dead mums and dads, livelihoods and homes ruined but fido is still alive!

Whoopee doo.

Sponsored Links
Yeah all that carnage, dead children, dead mums and dads, livelihoods and homes ruined but fido is still alive!

Whoopee doo.

With the greatest respect to those who have lost children, mums and dads, livelihoods and homes in the disaster - thats their world not this womans, to her the world was her dog, not other peoples lives

With the greatest respect i will not celebrate a dog having survived when children are lying dead having perished in horrific circumstances.

Irrelevant news for some people.

With the greatest respect i will not celebrate a dog having survived when children are lying dead having perished in horrific circumstances.

Irrelevant news for some people.

It may represent a glimmer of hope that someone may still be alive. Or it may just be a nice happy moment in a dark hour.

Why would you want to take that away from a person?

Shame they didn't show the clip with the lady missing her cat and the bloke over the road going nuts because it was in his garden ;)

Why do they use sticks to build their homes?
This is tornado alley is it not?

If I lived there I'd build my home from concrete and steel.
A big flat roof too with that poured also. Joined to the walls with re bar.
Everything would be re barred from the foundation to the roof.
Even an A bomb wouldn't shift it.

Might look a sight but at least it would still be standing after one of these hurricanes or tornadoes.

Why do they use sticks to build their homes?
This is tornado alley is it not?

If I lived there I'd build my home from concrete and steel.
A big flat roof too with that poured also. Joined to the walls with re bar.
Everything would be re barred from the foundation to the roof.
Even an A bomb wouldn't shift it.

Might look a sight but at least it would still be standing after one of these hurricanes or tornadoes.

That would explain why the school collapsed, it was made from concrete and steel.

They build storm shelters if the money is available. Wood is cheaper to keep building after a disaster, think about it.

American houses are jerry built. But that twister wouldn't have been kind to a UK town either.

tooluk wrote

That would explain why the school collapsed, it was made from concrete and steel.

Don't be so dumb.
Do you know the exact construction method?

Well it may have been concrete pre-casts. Still useless.

tooluk wrote

Don't be so dumb.
Do you know the exact construction method?

Well it may have been concrete pre-casts. Still useless.

The real issues with respect to a house's vulnerability involve the doors, windows and roof, explained Shackelford and Tanner. The structures of each don't tend to stand up to heavy winds, let alone projectiles created by the twister's debris. And even if homeowners do install "tornado glazing" or "tornado-safe room doors," they still have to deal with the garage, which is also vulnerable.

To be completely safe, the entire house would need to be "missile-resistant." What this means, according to Shackelford, is that the building would have to be able to withstand 250 miles-per-hour winds, which can launch items as big as a 15-pound two-by-four at 100 mph at walls. To reach that level of protection, one's home would have to be made "with solid concrete, no windows and a steel door," he said.

It makes far more sense to compartmentalize tornado fortification, added Tanner. "You can protect your family so much more inexpensively and safely with an aboveground safe room that has been tested and engineered or with a belowground shelter that has a tested door on it," he said.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/21/tornado-proof-homes-oklahoma_n_3313537.html

Some degree of understanding is needed before you approach this subject.

Why did you start with an insult, it doesn't add any weight to your argument. That's what you are wanting isn't it, an argument?

one's home would have to be made "with solid concrete,

There you go. So I'm right.

That would explain why the school collapsed, it was made from concrete and steel

And you are wrong. :LOL:

Not too shabby...
concretebunker.png

Sponsored Links
Back