Wood baseboards

So, on the strength of that, it's perfectly reasonable that no-one will identify the stand off insulator and whether they are still available?
As I said, I can't really see why a consumer would want stand-off insulators for their own board. However, if they did, they would only have to Google for "ceramic standoff insulators" to find thousands - if they were for their own board, there obviously would be no reason why they would have to be identical to the various ones DNOs have used (over the decades) for their own boards.

As RF has said, if you would but tell us what you're trying/wanting to do, we might be able to help you more specifically.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So, on the strength of that, it's perfectly reasonable that no-one will identify the stand off insulator and whether they are still available?
As I said, I can't really see why a consumer would want stand-off insulators for their own board. However, if they did, they would only have to Google for "ceramic standoff insulators" to find thousands - if they were for their own board, there obviously would be no reason why they would have to be identical to the various ones DNOs have used (over the decades) for their own boards.

As RF has said, if you would but tell us what you're trying/wanting to do, we might be able to help you more specifically.

Kind Regards, John

Hi. Actually, I have a strong sense of symmetry when it comes to DIY work. What I mean is I'm finicky about looks, bit of a perfectionist. And if I had my druthers, I'd replicate the stand-offs on the CU board that I may fit above the DNO meter board. Of course, these collars / spacers / hat washers / shoulder washers etc, that are on the meter board were made maybe 60 years ago, so, they may be unnobtainable new.

Millions must have been made and somewhere there will be boxes of NOS of them, but it's finding them. Old timers called them "mints" I believe.

Hi. Actually, I have a strong sense of symmetry when it comes to DIY work. What I mean is I'm finicky about looks, bit of a perfectionist. And if I had my druthers, I'd replicate the stand-offs on the CU board that I may fit above the DNO meter board. Of course, these collars / spacers / hat washers / shoulder washers etc, that are on the meter board were made maybe 60 years ago, so, they may be unnobtainable new. ... Millions must have been made and somewhere there will be boxes of NOS of them, but it's finding them. Old timers called them "mints" I believe.
As I implied, different DNOs have used different designs at different points in time over the decades. If you wanted to match old DNO ones, you'd just have to 'hunt', since I doubt that any 'new' one would be identical - I guess that eBay might prove productive.

We've discussed these things in the past, and I don't think that anyone really has a clear idea as to why they were used. There is no obvious reason why electrical insulators would be required, and some think that their main purpose was to stop steel screws rusting if the walls were very damp, although I don't fully understand the logic of that!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Aren't some people strange?
Most people probably are, in one sense or another, but some are stranger than others :) ... and making judgements about that can be complicated but not being sure what one should, and should not, believe!

Kind Regards, John

Trying to figure out why when the porcelain spacers were first mentioned the reason given was; -
A couple missing from my meter board. Thanks.

Yet later on we are told: -

Hi. Actually, I have a strong sense of symmetry when it comes to DIY work. What I mean is I'm finicky about looks, bit of a perfectionist. And if I had my druthers, I'd replicate the stand-offs on the CU board that I may fit above the DNO meter board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back