Wood baseboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has the cable termination and the meter, and had the original consumer unit attached to a wooden baseboard. Now the new consumer unit is above that board, attached to the wall direct.

Does that baseboard have a particular specification? Are these boards still sold? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the cut-out & meter are still sttached to the board it is DNO property and should not be interfered with.

All boards used by the DNOs are fire resistant

Please look at the ceramic insulator as per picture. What are they called and are they still available? 1" across and 5/8th" deep. They sort of insert into the meter base, because not a fixed diameter.

A couple missing from my meter board. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A couple missing from my meter board. Thanks.

As stated now by two of us, the meter board is NOT your responsibility.

If you have any issues with it contact your DNO and ask them to inspect it and repair it.

Can someone just please answer the question? Thank you.

It has been, perhaps you just don't want to listen to the answers given

The board and ALL of its fittings are NOT your property or responsibility.

If there is an issue with it you MUST contact the DNO (Northern Powergrid)
to inspect and repair it.

Or is that you have been illegally working on it and are scared of the consequences?

Can somone please just tell me what those ceramic insulators are called and if they are available? And stop second-guessing what I might be doing? Or is it breaking the law to reveal what those ceramic insulators are called? Someone, please stand up to the plate and just identify what the insulators are called, without feeling guilty or whatever. Thank you.

No one here is going to help you or anyone else to tamper with DNO equipment.

Your options are to call Northern Powergrid to repair whatever it is that is damaged, or to do nothing and wait until they eventually find out anyway.

Generally, it is better to inform them of problems as soon as they occur.
Their details: https://www.northernpowergrid.com/contact-us

Picture shows EON's explanation of who is responsible for what. Red is consumers reponsibilty.

Clearely if a householder wanted his/her consumer unit to be attached on a "meter board", that is flameproof board, and to mount it on stand-off
insulators / shoulder washers - it would not be breaking the law to affix the new board to the wall.

Seems them, I think, rather ridiculous not to tell me where to obtain those porcelain stand-offs.

Of course you can fit your own board to mount your CU on, but that's not what you're trying to do.

Clearely if a householder wanted his/her consumer unit to be attached on a "meter board", that is flameproof board, and to mount it on stand-off insulators / shoulder washers - it would not be breaking the law to affix the new board to the wall.
If you are talking about a consumer's own, separate 'new board', then a consumer is obviously free to attach whatever they want to their wall and then attach their own equipment (CU etc.) to it - although I'm not sure why they would want to use stand-off insulators etc. Even if you want to create a space behind the board for cables, there's no real reason to use insulators (unless to protect the material of the board from rotting due to a very wet wall!) - any sort of 'standoff' would be adequate.

What a consumer is not allowed to do is to interfere with in any way, or attach consumer's items to, the DNO's board.

Kind Regards, John

Clearely if a householder wanted his/her consumer unit to be attached on a "meter board", that is flameproof board, and to mount it on stand-off insulators / shoulder washers - it would not be breaking the law to affix the new board to the wall.
If you are talking about a consumer's own, separate 'new board', then a consumer is obviously free to attach whatever they want to their wall and then attach their own equipment (CU etc.) to it - although I'm not sure why they would want to use stand-off insulators etc. Even if you want to create a space behind the board for cables, there's no real reason to use insulators (unless to protect the material of the board from rotting due to a very wet wall!) - any sort of 'standoff' would be adequate.

What a consumer is not allowed to do is to interfere with in any way, or attach consumer's items to, the DNO's board.

Kind Regards, John

So, on the strength of that, it's perfectly reasonable that no-one will identify the stand off insulator and whether they are still available?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back