Free-hanging T&E cable under kitchen cupboards... OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a question out of curiosity really - the kitchen of my rented house had the entire ring main replaced by a spark about 6 months ago (there was a damaged cable in the wall and the rest of the wiring was in dire need of replacement!).

In order to minimize the amount of chasing out required the spark and my landlord decided to just chase out the wall under the sockets and leave the twin and earth cable "hanging" behind and under the cupboards. So running to all the sockets above the counter it is chased into the wall but underneath it's pretty much laying on the floor (it is cable clipped where it enters and leaves the one socket underneath the cupboards).

It's not like the cable is anywhere where anyone might pull on it or anything, with the baseboards on under the cupboards it's completely inaccessible so in my mind is no different to running it under floor boards?

Now this doesn't really bother me at all, because I saw him wire the whole thing up and I am in no doubt that it is safe, but I'm just wondering out of curiosity whether this is allowed (if not I will get my landlord to put the cable in conduit).

Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
They did that to avoid ripping out the units.

In a lovely world of rewire, the room would have been a blank canvas and the cables either contained or cable clipped every 350mm or so.

Since there's no hands access behide the units whats happened is acceptable, even if a bit rough and not in keeping with the cable support via clips every 'x' distance (I can't remember the xact clip support distances vert / horiz).

There's no need for conduit either.

Since it was work done recently the circuit MUST be via a rcd or rcbo device at the board.

Since it was work done recently the circuit MUST be via a rcd or rcbo device at the board.

Interesting. Please note that it was a like-for-like replacement of the cables (no new sockets added/removed) - does this still apply then?

(I definitely don't have an RCBO/RCD installed).

My CU is an old Wylex one and wouldn't have thought you can get RCBO's for it (or maybe you can?), it's not "split way" either so an RCD might be a pain in the bum!

I guess it should really be new CU time... :p

I was under the impression that for clipped direct or in this case 'hanging around' you didn't need to have an RCD fitted.

This seems one of those instances where the spark has applied commonsense to the regulations and you do not need to go out and buy a new CU.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, looks like I have no need to worry then.

(I would quite like an RCD, having said that, to reduce the chances of having my balls blown off in an electrical fault - but I doubt the landlord will pay to have one fitted unless it's absolutely necessary :LOL: )

I was under the impression that for clipped direct or in this case 'hanging around' you didn't need to have an RCD fitted.

General purpose socket outlets rated not more than 20A and under the control of ordinary persons so therefore they require additional protection by means of an RCD anyway.

But were there sockets installed?

No.

As I said, it was a like-for-like replacement of the existing wires. Nothing added/removed. One socket was actually moved a few inches to the right, because it was directly above the cooker, but apart from that nothing.

(Am I right in thinking that because the circuit wasn't actually changed, this wouldn't even be notifiable work?)

Only reason the rewire was done is because there were some nasty bodges. Ever seen bits of chopped up extension cord used because the last person to wire the place up ran out of twin and earth? :D Not to mention cables too small and bits of old rubber wiring that had been reused... :rolleyes:

(And yes, I have checked what wiring I can get to in the rest of the house - the rest of it seems fine, amazingly. Looks like the kitchen was done by cowboys.)

As an aside, I've learnt an awful lot by reading this forum. Thinking of becoming an electrician one day. The idea appeals to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back