Spare supply under kitchen cupboards???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Just about to replace some plinths in the kitchen and found a length of cable with a junction box on the end laying on the floor under the cupboards.

It's a pretty chunky cable and nearly double the size of the ring circuits I have seen in the sockets.

Our hob and single oven are plugged into a twin socket in one of the cupboards, so I thought maybe it's a supply direct from the cu for an oven that's not been used. Does this sound likely?

If so I'm thinking I could use it for a new single socket in a cupboard to serve a dishwasher... How would I safely find which breaker it's fed from?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sound very likely that the cables was once used for cooking applinces, don't take for granted that this is dead/isolated at fuse/CU.
This may be confirmed by further investigation at the consumer unit/fuse board. circuit chart if available will help.
Expect cooker circuit to be 30A or 32A device.
Some testing will be required to confirm that this is still safe for continued use.
If a socket outlet is to be connected to this cable, any joints made are likely to require easy access for inspection,testing and maintenance.
Also the socket and possibly the cable will require 30 mA RCD protection if not already protected at the consumer unit/fuse board.
It's in a kitchen and the circuit is being altered, so as the law stands at the moment in England and Wales, this work will require notification to building controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back