Is this legal?

Does it look like 10mm?

333rocky333 said:
looks like 1 main earth
4 circuit earths and 3 ring earths (two in each)
no sign of any bonding wires in there
Can you point me in the direction of what it should have please? I'm conscious I'm just a punter and not talking anyone's language here, but thanks for all you patience and input.
regarding the 10mm
From where it connects to the 40 amp mcb you can tell better.
Compared to the cable to the right it looks either 6 or 10.
but that is coz we cannot tell if the tails , the fat wire in the main switch to the right is 16 or 25.

regarding the bonding
As others say there should be at least two green / yellow 10 mm cables either in that board or nearby.
They should be just smaller than the big g/y cable at the top left of the board.
Normally going in them terminals marked B and B.
They sometimes terminate outside the board in a copper bar,called the MET (main earthing terminal)

One to gas and one to the water.
Look near the meter and stopcock , if you have bonds you will see the other ends there.
The big green and yellow you have in the board may be just the other end of the one on the clamp below.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you - everyone - for all your help on this. I've learned a lot.

I'll trace any gas and water bonding (not tonight though!)- is this a longstanding regulation as those electrics haven't been touched since I moved here in 1992.

Just for background he certainly wasn't the cheapest quote. I wanted a professional, safe job and I think I approached it properly. Initially I just thought I needed a separate cable to the CU for a new hob. I had no recommendations so (having consulted this forum) I sourced three local electricians via CORGI, ELECSA and NICEIC. One didn't turn up, one quoted verbally, and this guy was the most professional in his initial visit (with the added bonus of being a registered plumber/gas engineer). He showed ID, followed up with a written comprehensive quote, was on time, showed references (via ratedpeople.com) made constructive suggestions and told me how much pride he took in his work. By inspecting the oven cable he told me I didn't need to go to the expense of a separate cable but could run the oven and the hob together. I thought that showed integrity so I trusted him when he said I needed a new CU.

Shortly after starting on the electrics he persuaded me to let him oversee the whole kitchen installation using his workers rather than sourcing my own (better efficiency and workmanship!). Then the problems began - I'm not sure if he's incompetent but certainly his colleagues have poor standards. He's got too many other jobs on the go and has not managed it properly. There's been no logical process and his supervision has been poor.

Ironically his original quote was for all my appliances being connected to a grid plate- it all sounded so organised -what happened there?!! :confused:

Thanks again. If you're not bored of this I'll let you know how it transpires...

I'm not sure if he's incompetent --- He's got too many other jobs on the go and has not managed it properly. There's been no logical process and his supervision has been poor.

He's certainly an incompetent project manager! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ironically his original quote was for all my appliances being connected to a grid plate

I think a trip to the CAB might be in order - and a letter to Watchdog too! :idea: :idea: :idea: [/b]

By way of an update, this work is still unfinished! Last weekend I took off the plinth to vacuum under the units and I saw this
View media item 3404
It had been damaged by his colleague in the early days and he said he would put a junction box on it.

Instead, he came round, apologised and put some conduit round it
View media item 3405
Is that sufficient?

The term 'Beggars Belief' springs to mind.

Are you sure you are in the UK and not in the wild wild west? yeeeehaaaaw!

I would get shot of this 'electrician' asap and find another.

I agree with the call to CAB and maybe even have a word with your LABC to see if they would be interested in having a look.

He is a disgrace to the profession.

I spoke to LABC and they said it was a matter for CORGI (who he's registered with).

I plan to register a complaint with CORGI but they don't seem too concerned with workmanship, just safety. I want to be sure that this damaged cable is not a grey area. It may be poor workmanship but if it's covered by the conduit and behind the plinth is it breaching a particular regulation? Thanks

Poor you and what a nightmare.

Regarding your last point, I suppose it could be argued that as long as the cable is in trunking it is OK, but I'd be more concered that in damaging ithe cable, the insulation around one or more of the conductors could be damaged - leading to future problems. His tests (I presume he ran them if he's giving you a certificate..) would indicate this.

Good luck with it all

SB

As with the rest of the work, I doesn't look to be immediately dangerous, and this 'repair' is (just) compliant with BS7671.

It is installed to a very poor standard by someone who clearly has no pride in their work, but unfortunatly I think you would struggle to argue a case if you were to take it further.

I really don't know what you can do. It really makes a mockery of having to use a registered contractor. What's the point of being registered if when work like this is produced, the membership scheme are not interested?

They only seem bothered if someone gets injured through bad workmanship.

When I asked him about bonding on the water and gas he said that as he had not done a complete re-wire it was not his responsibility?

130-01-07 (16th):
No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, which will have to carry any additional load is adequate for the altered circumstances and the earthing and bonding arrangements are also adequate.

131.8 (17th):
No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, will be adequate for the altered circumstances. Furthermore, the earthing and bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measure applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate.

So his EIC will be false, his declaration of compliance with the Building Regulations will be false, and his comment "it's not my responsibility" shows that he is incompetent.

He's handed you a big stick - hit him with it so hard that he doesn't get up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back