Wood burner in shed flue question

Oce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
General lurker but thought I'd ask a rather specific question for an idea I have.
I'm going to be getting an 8x12 shed soon for a little storage but mainly as a little DIY work shop.
I'm considering putting a cheap wood burner in just A: keep me warm if I'm in there in the winter and B: To keep the place inside and reduce moisture build up.

The question I have is this. I can choose between a heavy duty felt or the EPDM rubber, i know rubber would last the longer, but would I have an easier time sealing a flue going through felt or the rubber? Iv read people saying they have to get in a trades person to seal it up with a EPDM roof?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Sponsored Links
Other way around, it’s easier for a DIYer to seal a collar in an EPDM roof than felt

You probably need twin wall flue and a high temperature flashing kit.

not sure if the roof will need chippings to stop embers burning roof

i have a little 4kw with a 4" flue then a 6" stainless from 6" below the roof to 30" above rubber boot and witches hat heavy 3 layer torch on mineral felt 15 years on no problems' no signs off any stove impact inside or out

Other way around, it’s easier for a DIYer to seal a collar in an EPDM roof than felt

I'm assuming just the normal silicon sealant would be used if on EPDM?
You probably need twin wall flue and a high temperature flashing kit.
Yep iv been looking into that on the Evilbay and Amazon.
not sure if the roof will need chippings to stop embers burning roof
Iv seen this said before. What's ment by "needing chippings".

Sponsored Links
All sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Leaks, hot flue going through combustible structure and outer membrane, sparks likely to land on combustible petrochemical-based rubber.

Presumably the flue won't be as high as your house, so your windows and your neighbours' could be in the firing line for what comes out of it.

My advice would be "don't"!

its also worth mentioning part j off the building regs may apply with the need to pay for certification install to and comply with the regs in general the stove is by far the cheapest part
complying with regs and having to use bought timber /fuel properly seasoned possibly makes it an expensive lifestyle choice

Consider a fan heater instead; not as romantic, but cheaper, easier, safer, more controllable and doesn't force the house occupants and neighbours to breathe carcinogens..

Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate it. From what iv read and watched it looked like not a difficult endeavour. I was hesitant about cutting a hole in my brand new shed in the first place.
I work in the heating industry, quite different to the normal heating you would think of, and would have access to such things as ceramic blanked, fire retardant block/board ect. But you don't think about stuff like fumes and such for the folks living around you!

I think I'll just insulate and run an electric heater now and then when I need to.

have an electric fan heater aiming into the footwell 'under top or desk off where you sit stand or work or aimed at your head and shoulders and let you get warm first with the heat spreading to the larger area

Just use a bit of soil pipe for the flue, may as well get the shed burning down over and done quickly :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back