Garage roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all moved into a house a few years ago with asbestos roofing that was tires broken leaking

The garage has timber on the sides which has a slight gradient which I kept

Ripped it up and fitted plywood and new felt all ok except a few areas pooling water

Now this winter had caused some issues namely condemnation and white mould

The inside of the wood gets wet in the winter and now I have a fair bit of mouldy which with the water is making some areas weak

I'm not too happy with the felting itself as the pitch isn't enough so I will replace with rubber epbm this summer

Question is can I do anything about this condensation in the winter I have drilled holes for ventilation but it needs something for it to not hit the surface.

I don't want to spend out on the rubber and the wood falls apart

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its not penetrating moisture? Condensation would not normally make your timber weak or give the other symptoms you mention.

Hi woody when it's warmer and it rains the wood shows no signs of leaking at all every morning in winter the underneath of the wood was wet

It's nigh on impossible to stop condensation in this situation. Ventilation is not the answer in itself as even outside condensation forms on any surface, so you could leave the doors and windows open and it will still occur.

Coating the boards in a water repellent will at least protect them from getting soaked and rotting.

Sponsored Links
Hi woody

Thanks for the advice. Looks like another reroof inspected the wood today and some areas are past it I would say

Serves me right for not spending enough time in there to notice lol

If you are reroofing, then consider an insulated deck. That might go someway to prevent or minimse any future condensation issues..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back