wood burner/oil boiler central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been informed that is is not possible to intergrate my oil bolier into a solid fuel sysem, if this is not the case please could someone let me know how to achieve this and if it the case would it be possible to run my downstairs on the woodburner and the upstairs and water from the oil bolier.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Yes it is but usually if as some of our customers wish due to the price of fuels these days they want to burn wood as they have a forest at their back door and use the oil or gas as a standby it involves a neutraliser and a lot of pipework they shy away and have one or the other. As a result we have talked a lot about them but I have no practical experience to offer.
You could have 2 separate systems , 1 for wood burner and the other for oil but is this practical for you??
Dunsley Baker do this kind of thing and Im sure some of the boys on here may have even fitted what you ask , good luck, it is possible!!

get a qualified heating engineer to look at it oil/solid fuel link ups are bread and butter,only time you should not link them is if the sys is sealed.

as above

Also your wood burner wont give enought out put to run a heating system
i would sugest oil boiler for heating but fit a twin coil cylinder to give you cheap hot water back :idea:

Sponsored Links
The type of woodburner/solid fuel system or size has not been mentioned .
He/She also states that the system is a solid fuel system !.
The solid fuel may be the main heating system.
Just my tuppence worth. :D
Solid fuel seems to be making a comeback.
It beats two woolly jumpers ;)
My old oil/solid fuel system was connected in parallel and no NRV's fitted.
Whilst one was operational one flowed through the other and vice/versa . The solid fuel pump was manual and if you turned it on whilst the oil burner was on, the pipes made an incredible sound.

OFTEC do not recommend linking up solid fuel with oil athough i have seen it done many time's. This due to the constant re-oxygenation of the water caused by the way the solid fuel set up works.

Personally i would fit a twin coil cylinder. You could then have a sealed heating/ hot water system used through the oil appliance and open vent solid fuel hot water + room heat via fire.

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back