Wood burning stove magnet, what's it for and where should it sit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a magnet on the underside of our Contura wood burning stove, as shown in the photo, which I accidentally moved recently when adjusting the air flow using the lever which is also shown in the photo. Neither the installation manual, nor a Google search have borne no fruit in telling me what this magnet is for and where it should sit. Can anyone shed any light on this please? The stove has been going out when lit of late which is unusual and I'm wondering if my having moved this magnet might be the cause of the problem.
IMG_4417.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the magnet has nothing to do with the workings of the stove? I've just had a Google and there are thermometers available that attach to wood stoves using a magnet. Maybe this is the remains of one, i.e. the thermometer bit has broken off from the magnet part. Not a stove expert, but wouldn’t have thought a magnetic field would have much to do with combustion. Maybe pull it off and see what happens. Anyone else’s thoughts?

my thoughts are to hold a tool or even a lever in a position iff a good contact
it must be on a cool surface to avoid being demagnetized i would have thought??

Could it be a (spare) door magnet?:

...although, is the silver clip part of the stove and holding the magnet in place?

Sponsored Links
It's mine, I left it there - can you send it back to me?

Very useful are magnets, put it somewhere safe for when you need one.
I did have loads of little magnets for holding diagrams at work, but then the apprentices found them useful too - now I have none :(

Could it be that the magnet has nothing to do with the workings of the stove? I've just had a Google and there are thermometers available that attach to wood stoves using a magnet. Maybe this is the remains of one, i.e. the thermometer bit has broken off from the magnet part. Not a stove expert, but wouldn’t have thought a magnetic field would have much to do with combustion. Maybe pull it off and see what happens. Anyone else’s thoughts?
The magnet definitely came with the stove, I just can't recall it's purpose, thanks though.

my thoughts are to hold a tool or even a lever in a position iff a good contact
it must be on a cool surface to avoid being demagnetized i would have thought??
Interesting, thank you. Perhaps it's to prevent the lever being moved too far, but it seems a little cumbersome for this purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back