Wood burning stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a wood burning stove in an outbuilding, where currently my cats are living, but after that it will be a "den" or second living room if you like. I need heating in there that isn't going to cost a fortune.

I thought a stove would be good because it can be left unattended providing heat overnight. When it becomes a second living room, it will be a nice atmosphere in the cooler months.

I don't know very much about stoves, but I want to do it as cheaply as possible. A friend of a friend bought 2nd hand tubing and stoves on the internet, which I may do - however I don't know what things to look for.

Does anyone have a stove? Or fitted it themselves?

Sponsored Links
As your building appears to have no insulation it will cost a fortune to heat, regardless of the fuel used.

The installation of the stove is what matters - wrongly installed and it will fill the building with carbon monoxide. This silently kills people and animals.

'2nd hand tubing and stoves on the internet' does not exactly inspire confidence either.

another thought
you want heat overnight you will have to stoke it every 2 hours minimum
a fully loaded stove can only give out the maximum heat this will be given out over the time its alight so if the energy in the wood will give out 3kw total say 1kw will go up the chimnie so 2kw will heat the room so within about 3 hours it will be around 5- 10 degrees cooler dependant on heat loss

'2nd hand tubing and stoves on the internet' does not exactly inspire confidence either.

People rip perfectly good stoves out as they "aren't to their taste" ... What's the problem with purchasing that? £500+ instead of £1000+

It will obviously be installed by a reputable tradesman, but I want to source the parts myself.

It's partially insulated

Sponsored Links
another thought
a fully loaded stove can only give out the maximum heat this will be given out over the time its alight so if the energy in the wood will give out 3kw total say 1kw will go up the chimnie so 2kw will heat the room so within about 3 hours it will be around 5- 10 degrees cooler dependant on heat loss

That's not really an issue. I'd probably be in there until around 11pm then up at 6. As long as some heat is retained during this time, I don't mind too much.

if the heat loss is enough it may be near zero if the outside temperature is say -5
but there is no way off telling without trying

Stoves with an output of 5kW or less theoretically dont require external ventilation....it is assumed the combustion air comes from within the house and the associated draughts.
In this case, I would strongly recommend that external ventilation is provided and of course a carbon monoxide detector is installed.
A HETAS engineer can check your chimney to see if enough natural ventilation is getting into the building.
This is called a 'spill' test.
John :)

Not necessarily. I've banked mine up with hardwood, shut the vents, and gone to bed, and there were still glowing embers in the morning. Stove still warm (though no longer hot of course).

Cheers
Richard

We have a Morso Squirrel on our narrowboat - we burn a mixture of wood and coal, if you bank up the fire correctly and get the air vents just right, the stove will be too hot to touch in the morning 8 or 9 hours later. Chuck on a bit more fuel, open up the vents and off you go again.

yes i understand in a well insulated area/room you can overload above capacity and sweat the stove fully shut down and it will burn all night but it can never give out more heat than the wood contains so iff you are loosing say 1-2kw heat loss to the outside per hour unless you have a fairly big wood burner its going to be fairly cold regardless off how its set up
although the slower the burn the less the heat goes up the flue
but as i said trial and error is the only way to find out ;) :D

We have a Morso Squirrel on our narrowboat - we burn a mixture of wood and coal, if you bank up the fire correctly and get the air vents just right, the stove will be too hot to touch in the morning 8 or 9 hours later. Chuck on a bit more fuel, open up the vents and off you go again.

Bloomin' good stove, the wee Squirrel.....I have two.
They can burn all day and not fill the ash box....which may mean next doors garden has a fine layer of potash :p
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back