WOOD BURNING STOVES

If you live in a smokeless zone make sure its one thats approved to use in a smokeless area.

Its not a diy job, as it comes under building control and has to comply with stringent regs.

Not in Scotland :p

It's not that hard to do as long as you make sure you have adequate draw and ensure that all joints are properly sealed. A CO alarm is a must, of course.

Sponsored Links
If you have some manual skills it is not difficult to fit a stove, it is best to drop a suitable liner.....and the twinwall type is harder to get down tight bends...ended knocking out part of the chimney to get mine down. After having my aarrow ecoburn for about 5 years now i would say it is not an easy to maintain source of heat if you plan to source your own wood......you need a proper chainsaw....and a decent axe.....the ability to collect wood, split and store untill seasoned....go out in the dark to get more wood....takes a while to get to full temp...be prepared to repair the rope seal regularly. If however this does not put you off it is great....sitting in a toasting room, watching the flames dance knowing its cost you next to nothing.....however if you are paying for your wood forget it.
The aarrow isnt the best stove in the world.....will spend abit more if i move on a better stove

Thanks to every one who left a comment, the boiler/stove i'm looking at is the "Lilyking 627"?? multi fuel from stoves are us, but i will spend another couple of hours on the internet before making any descissions.

Thanks to every one who left a comment, the boiler/stove i'm looking at is the "Lilyking 627"?? multi fuel from stoves are us, but i will spend another couple of hours on the internet before making any descissions.

just remember if you burn wood in a multi fuel stove you talking about 50% output if burning wood against solid fuel and only around 25% output unless you spend a lot off time tending so a 10kw heater can turn into an expensive 2kw heater iff you dont want to spend all day tending and cleaning
a stove virtually without exception is a life style choice with no finacial savings unless you have several tones off free wood and want to tend to the fire for around 10 mins an hour

you can save time by using one with a hopper but they are expensive

Sponsored Links
We have a Woodwarm multifuel stove which gives us our hot water too. 3rd winter on the trot and living in the middle of a forest I haven't paid for wood yet- got a decent enough Stihl MS181 40cm bar chainsaw, essential, and a splitting maul and axe, and a decent bowsaw for recovering smaller stuff when out with the dog(fallen stuff only, birch is the top prize).
Never fell living trees but dead ones are good as they're usually part seasoned. You need to be dedicated to gathering, borderline obsessive. Our neighbour gets to this time of year every year then thinks about gathering some- no use with wet wood, need to be at least 18 months for it to be good. Also need a fairly large woodshed- I made 2 from pallets and some bitumen corrugated sheet from Wickes for the roof, total cost about £45 a shed.
Lucky enough where I work we get trees downed frequently so when this happens I bring the chainsaw in and get to work, boss is happy enough saves paying through the nose to get a contractor out, but if I saw my leg off there will be no claim against my employers understandably!(what no risk assessment, method statement, insurance???!!! na, just common sense)
Keeps you pretty fit and strong though- cutting it into useable lengths, carrying them back to the house etc, cutting it into the optimum size for the stove, splitting it, stacking it etc. If you're a bit lazy by nature probably best avoided!!

i need a new stove, have no idea what to buy, if just something cheap - what can be the cons? what is a solid brand for good price?

There seem to be a few suggestions above, the guys have them fitted in their own homes and seem happy with them so that seems to be a good recommendation.

i need a new stove, have no idea what to buy, if just something cheap - what can be the cons? what is a solid brand for good price?

you wont get a legal useful stove for a house for less than around £700 fitted including materials and costs but thats a basic model

or tell me what to steer clear of please.[/quote]

Woodburners.

or tell me what to steer clear of please.

Woodburners.

Of course, your username leads me to believe that you are somewhat biased :mrgreen:[/quote]

LOL.Maybe, but we do sell them in our shop!

The problem is that 95% of punters by them in the vain hope that they are cheaper to run than gas, which nunless you own a forest isn't true. were selling a small poke of wood for either £4 or £5 last weekend, it might have lasted one evening! Add in the work and mess, and the fact that you can't turn it on for ten minutes berfore going to work, and I firmly believe that a decent inset gas fire is a better option.

Obviously especially so if you have bought it off me!

There ARE homes that benefit massively from a WB, but not you're average house with one fireplace

living in the middle of a forest I haven't paid for wood yet- got a decent enough Stihl MS181 40cm bar chainsaw, essential, and a splitting maul and axe, and a decent bowsaw for recovering smaller stuff when out with the dog(fallen stuff only, birch is the top prize).

Isn't that illegal, taking fallen branches from forests .......Dead or otherwise.?

Countrywide have the Villager Duo on offer at the moment, was £650 now £450.
A lot of people go for a stove to big for the room, therefore have to have the air wash turned down so stove isnt burning suficiantly.
If the glass is tarring up, so is your chimney/liner.

living in the middle of a forest I haven't paid for wood yet- got a decent enough Stihl MS181 40cm bar chainsaw, essential, and a splitting maul and axe, and a decent bowsaw for recovering smaller stuff when out with the dog(fallen stuff only, birch is the top prize).

Isn't that illegal, taking fallen branches from forests .......Dead or otherwise.?

I would have thought so.
I've forestry land on my doorstep and wouldn't dream of scavenging for wood within its boundaries. Neighbours would be talking aside anything else.
Fire up a chain saw and you would certainly be asking for trouble.
And also not much point when I could have a 5 ton load delivered for about £150 quid.

Some people have little respect for other peoples property. It will generally be people who don't own any. I had three trespassers on my land last Sunday.

Sponsored Links
Back