Wood Filler - what is the shelf life?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to buy some wood filler and will need quite a bit over the next 12 months. I am wondering whether to buy one large tin or buy several over the duration?

The filler in question is an interior/exterior high performance with hardener.

Any advice much appreciated.

Jon

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that you are referring to the two pack stuff such as wudfil that is essentially the same as car body filler. I've used some that has been a good few years old with success. I have found though that it tends to dry out over time and that makes it harder to mix with the hardener and will eventually get to a point where it is simply too stiff to mix properly. Hope that helps.

I am referring to the two part stuff.

What sort of duration would you be happy using the same tin? 1 year, 6 months, less?

Sponsored Links
If its going to be painted I would go to a Car Body Shop and buy a large tin of Car Body Filler about £7/8 if sealed well should last a couple of years.

Spend more than that on small tin of Ronseal Woodfilla

Bosswhite is correct about the car body filler , cheaper than wood fillers. They do come mainly in white so ideal for painting although it is possible to colour it and I have done so in the past though of course a darker colour can be obtained with a darker filler to begin with. I've successfully coloured fillers with burnt umber powder , ochre powder and also paint tints. Done mainly to hide something on old timbers where sanding would damage the patina of the timber.
Anyway back to your original question about how old the filler could be and still used , I've used filler that's been sitting on the shelf for five years or more.

If its going to be painted I would go to a Car Body Shop and buy a large tin of Car Body Filler about £7/8 if sealed well should last a couple of years.

Spend more than that on small tin of Ronseal Woodfilla

Great tip. Would you always get it direct from a car body shop, or can you not buy it online? Any brand recommendations?

The one I get from local car body shop is Upol "Easy" ( or the cheapest bargain tin) but there are other makes they are all the same.
dont go to Halfords they are very expensive, you could try on line for a bargain.
I dig out the rotten wood and treat it with Ronseal WoodHardener then fill, easy to rub down as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back