Wood floor on concrete?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The concrete floor is four years old so it has a membrane and insulation under it. I would like to lay an Ash floor if it is not to expensive and if it is then I will use Deal.
I know that the wood would probably shrink so I propose to cut the floor to size and lay it loose for three months or so to dry out and then fix it.
I have three questions:
1. Could one just use “No Nails” and glue the wood to the concrete?
2. Should I cut trenches in the concrete to take lengths of 2X2 securing them to the concrete with expanding bolts fixing the floor to them?
3. Do I need to allow ventilation?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't think this is going to work. There are two problems here. Firstly, even if the wood is aclimatised to it's new environment, changes within that environement will lead to unavoidable expantion/contraction. Secondly, the cold surface of the concrete will lead to moisture being attracted to the underside of the wood. This will lead to warping.

If I were going to do this, I would lay a subfloor of ply first. (using a bitumous adhesive and screws). Then Glue and Nail the floor to that. This would almost double the cost of the installation, but I wouldn't be confident with anything less. (the nails would be punched below the surface and filled over).

The alternative is to lay it as a floating floor, but this is obviously something that you've already disscounted.

The only way is to use wood blocks flooring with the correct type of bitumen adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back