Wood Flooring - evo-stik ok? do i need a strap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm hoping to start installing my real wood floor tomorrow. It will be installed as a floating floor over concrete, DPM, and floormastar green insualation underlay.

So, I decided to steer clear of the floormaster glue in a cheap looking bottle (i'll be glueing the T&G). Instead I went to the wood adhesive section in B&Q to find PVAC. All I could see what Evo-Stick interior wood adhesive. Is that ok to use?

Also, do i need one of those strap things for laying the floor? Are they really necessary? I heard for a good quality floor they're not needed. Floor cost about £40/sq meter which is really expensive for me - but no doubt there are £150/sq meter floors out there!

Thanks for any help

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
Any reasonable PAVC wood-glue will do the trick, main thing is to glue the T&G's properly.
You're right about the straps, if you've got proper quality wood with decent T&G it normally isn't needed. Do take care when walking over freshly installed boards, the glue needs its time to bond. If you don't notice you've created a gap between the boards the glue will set and the boards won't go tighter together again.

When you've finished with your floor, why not enter our DIY-Triumphs contest?

thanks

sorry to be dense but is evo-stik a PAVC wood glue?

do you think B&Q flooring is decent enough not ot have to use a strap?

hopefully it'll be good enough to be in your triumph section!

Evo-stick wood interior is fine.

Check a few boards 'dry' to see if the T&G's fit snugly together (not too tight so you'll have to knock it too hard and not too 'open' - boards will slide out the minute you touch them).

Sure you'll do a fine job, take your time, take the correct preparations and don't worry too much ;)

Sponsored Links
Excellent, i can go to the pub now instead of B&Q.

Thanks woodyoulike - i'll try and enjoy the experience!

fingers crossed.

well, progress is being made, although no where near as fast as i thought it'd be! got about 5 rows done now. looks fantastic though.

question - what's a good product to fill the grooves with? there are some little gaps at the top of the boards. just wondering if there's good stuff to fill them as with a little baby on the way i'm sure it's probably best to protect the floor as much as possible form spills leaking between the boards.

tiny gaps at the tops of the boards normally indicated either your row wasn't really straight or the boards (or T&G) weren't exactly cut at angle.
You can fill them with a mastic if needed.

thanks. i guess the boards are pretty cheap really. the gaps really are small but there's certainly no way they'd sit flush against the next board.

one last thing - edging - is there any decent 2cm wide edging? i've left a 15mm expansion gap, but B&Q only sell 15mm wide edging.

thanks

john

No, it won't. Only if you, like one of our clients, use thick nails to pin the beading down.
with normal small pins 'extreme' expansion will lift the beading up - also an 'early warning system'.
But it hardly happens in normal circumstances.

excellent, that looks alot easier than fitting edging to a skirting board.

thanks for all your help with this. there's an outside chance i may actually finish the floor this weekend!

This is turning into a really long project due to a bad back and busy weekends!

But, just about to finish it off.

One question - wood around the toilets. Do you maintain the expansion gap? how to you cover over the gap?

thanks

john

Hi John

Yes, also around toilets you'll have to have an expansion gap. ideally you would lift the pan and install just underneath it, sitting the pan back on to it - but if that's not possible, leave expansion gap and 'seal' it with transparent silicon or mastic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back