wood floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have laid new floorboards stained them then varnished them in quite a short space of time the varnish wares away have also used floor wax couple of years ago which did the same is there a better way to finsh than varnish or foor wax please advise

Sponsored Links
Also how long did you leave the varnish to cure before walking on it or cleaning it? Can you remember the name of the varnish?

hi they were 6"x1" soft wood tongue and groove floor boards from timber merchants the varnish and wax were both brought from diy shops b&q i think as am diyer thats all i used does this help any and was also informed wax oil is a better product please help

Sponsored Links
Remains still the question: did you sand the floor before applying the varnish?

The wax you bought, was that suitable for varnished floors??
There are two different types of maintenance products: one type for varnished/lacquered to feed the varnish and one type for oiled/waxed floors to feed the wood and wear and tear layer.

You should never use a maintenance product suitable for oiled floors on varnished floors.

no i didnt sand floorboards before varnishing/waxing didnt think i needed to as they were new

New unfinished floorboards always need a light sanding to remove spilled adhesive and/or greasy fingermarks.

Thanks for your help i want to recoat the floor ,with wax oil if possible.
At the moment its finished with varnish , how sholud i do this & is it possible to do this without sanding the floor back to bare wood with industrial sanders as my house is open planned, & ive already finished the rest of house and i know from experience the mess is horrendous.
Also do you recommend any good products
MANY THANKS AGAIN

No, it is not possible to wax or oil a floor that has been varnished without sanding.
either hire a decent belt-sander with proper vacuum-system (you still will have dust) or hire a professional to do the job for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back