Wood lintel in bay window Do i Add extra supports ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been working on removing some old boxing in the bedroom and on removing the old plaster board i noticed that the wooden lintel that sits above the bay window seems to be supported by virtually nothing other than the windows and a small joist which the window is screwed into.
The wood at the end is virtually attached to nothing at all bar 2 nails in the top of the lintel and a small bit of wood at the bottom which has been jamed in i think to give the window sill something to screw into..

Thinking off adding some 89x 38mm C16 framing in to help support the lintel and just remove that end bit which was the plan all along? Since i doubt the end bit is holding any load the way its been installed.

Unsure if there are any bay poles in the bay window either which is always worrying..
Found some old news paper scraps from 1975 which i guess was the last time someone really looked at this so who knows what was done..

Any tips or advice would be good..
Some images below:

Close up of the lintel meets odd pannel
PXL_20230124_094223376.jpg
Close up of one side(can see the wooden decretive pannel on the end of the lintel and the joist which is supporting the frame of the window)
PXL_20230124_091537532.jpg

Whole Bay:

PXL_20230124_094604084.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's how they were originally built. The problems usually start when the timber frames are replaced with plastic.

Yeah im thinking it might not hurt to add some proper joists to try help hold it in place, just havent come across it before.. Seems like it was just slapped together at some point to be honest..
I only bought the place 3 months ago but the windows where put in a long time back i had been told i guess its holding together not terribly tho getting some steel supporting poles put in cant hurt the windows either just need to find a window fitter who will do it without tryna sell me new windows :LOL:

OP,
Use the search button (top right) to look for bressummer beams.

You seem to have had some wall plaster renewal - perhaps for damp but although its difficult to see clearly, I cant see any damp in the bay?
If no Bay Pole Jacks were installed then after 45 years a little sagging would be seen.
The old, timber, substantial window frame jambs have been left in to support the plates over the frame.

Assuming that the bay goes up a couple of floors then there's a bit of weight on it so maybe best to get some experienced eyes on site for an opinion?

fwiw: you have floor boards to kill for - they are gold dust. If you have to ever lift one or two then be extra careful - they will never again be available.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Use the search button (top right) to look for bressummer beams.

You seem to have had some wall plaster renewal - perhaps for damp but although its difficult to see clearly, I cant see any damp in the bay?
If no Bay Pole Jacks were installed then after 45 years a little sagging would be seen.
The old, timber, substantial window frame jambs have been left in to support the plates over the frame.

Assuming that the bay goes up a couple of floors then there's a bit of weight on it so maybe best to get some experienced eyes on site for an opinion?

fwiw: you have floor boards to kill for - they are gold dust. If you have to ever lift one or two then be extra careful - they will never again be available.

Ah didnt know they where called bressummer beams sorry or I would've looked that up..
Yeah it was for damp which has all been fixed by damp injection and new damp proof render.

I think the bay Windows where installed in 2005 from what I was told unsure about anything prior to then..

Bay only goes up one floor to the flat above but is actually resting on the joists in the floor more than then couple bricks above the lintel..
All builders ive spoken with have suggested to add new supports to it but nothing much more than that.
(Will take some pics when I get in )

If anyone knows a solid builder in London shout they are so hard to find..

P.s
Oh the floor boards are sitting on a concrete slab which is handy..
I think they where laid by the last owner and are real vennered wood. But yeah never found a match of what they are colour tho which has been a pain.
Have you seen them before?

You can kinda see the other lintel up higher sitting on the joists. Just above the vertical bit on the side of the joist which does come.down to my lintel this is the upstairs neighbors floor boards

PXL_20230125_001330348.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back