wood onto concrete (hijack split)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I myself am planning to lay some 18mm Solid Oak T&G flooring, in my flat which has a concrete floor with some yellow coloured stuff on, not sure if its bituim sound proofing as I read someone say in this thread, but I'm sure its adhesive for the underlay which I took up.

What I'm not sure about is due to the floor being abit uneven in places, I dont know if to put some levelling compound down first?? Would be best as I guess I cant go wrong.

Also, would it be best to either use the secret nail fixing method (i'm guessing you can fix the flooring to the concrete floor with masonary nails) Then I could take it up easier in the future as its alot of flooring, or just use the adhesive glue method.

Lastly would I require a DPM, the floor is approx 20 years. Obviously some sound proofing would be needed, any recomendations please.

Many Thanks,
Ian

Sponsored Links
First of all you have to 100% sure of what the "yellow stuff" is so you can treat it properly.
Once you know what it is you may be able to prime it then screed over it, you might also have to remove it depending on what it is !!
You can't use masonry nails to fix to concrete, the best method is adhesive. There's a fair chance that the floor is dry but without doing a moisture test you won't know for sure so i would lay a dpm (liquid form)

So the rule of thumb is:

Remove "yellow stuff"
Prime floor with f.ball p131 primer
Lay a liquid DPM (f.ball f75 or f76)
Lay a levelling screed
Fully bond flooring with adhesive

www.f-ball.co.uk

Hi

Thanks for your advice & reply :D

Another thing, I was thinking of using some 3/4 ply ontop of the screed, then putting the flooring onto the plyboard using the nail fixing & adhesive!

Is that not worth bothering with the plyboard?

just screed then use adhesive you say?

Thanks

also that yellow stuff I have tried getting up before, using big scrapper/razor etc up but its a nightmare, its definately adhesive for the underlay, is there some other way of removing it more easily? A chemical ?

My friend who done a tiling course said just get it up as much as you can but dont worry about it too much, and just to put PVA down first before I apply the screed? This doesn't sound good tho as the yellow stuff wont allow the PVA to bond to floor I would have thought.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Just remove what you can, put some elbow grease into tho, it's not easy but most imprtant!!
Don't use pva, use a neoprene primer (p131) as i said in the last post.

cool, think i'm ready to go and have planned well, just a matter of if to use plywood to lay the wood on or to just glue straight down with adhesive :cool:

thanks

Hi again m8,

Once I've primed the floor with the primer, how long after does the levelling liquid need to be put down?

Does anything else need to put on top of the primer before the levelling liquid, or does the levelling just do straight on

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back