Wood or carpet in living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our living room is quite small so we have bought a hang on the wall tv, hang on the wall fire, removed fireplace an are painting walls a light grey, with white doors, frames, ceiling and skirtings. Fire, tv and leather suite are black, rest of furniture is silver and glass. should I go for solid flooring or carpet to keep with a modern theme?

Sponsored Links
Wood of course! ;)
A nice minimalistic look like Oak nature wide-board (light colour, not many colour differences) full-plank, pre-oiled wood-engineered (4mm solid top layer)
Makes the room look larger too.

Sponsored Links
Thanx WoodYouLike
Thought your answer would be biased (re occupation) but after checking out oak flooring I have found a Blushed Oak at B&Q which looks ideal. I have seen plenty cheap & nasty styles in friends and relatives homes which never seem to match their decor and this is what was putting me off wood/laminate flooring. I am checking out Floors 2 Go today for more inspiration, and I am now converted to wood flooring. :D

ru32cme said:
Freddymercurystwin
Get a life

I apologize for my immature post's, but then you did ask a question for which the answer is PURELY DOWN TO PERSONAL CHOICE! When someone asks you why chose wood, will you reveal that someone on a forum who happens to prefer wood told you to do it?

ru32cme said:
Our living room is quite small so we have bought a hang on the wall tv, hang on the wall fire, removed fireplace . . . should I go for solid flooring or carpet to keep with a modern theme?

A decent wooden floor will look good and take a lot less maintenance than carpet (even the best carpets can't shrug off a glass of red wine or a blob of spilt curry) and it's that's why it's popular. But there are other reasons for choosing wood. A big spread in today's Times highlighted the increase in moths, and there's nothing moths like more than a nice wool carpet. Well, there is - your woollen clothes, but the carpet will make it a lot more difficult to eradicate these pests. Then, there are dustmites . . .

You don't have to give up carpet to have wood, though. There are some great rugs around and, unlike a fitted carpet, you can take them outside and give them a good shake.

WoodYouLike said:
Dulux said:
I'd have carpet. It's much more homely and to be honest wood flooring has had it's day.
You really make me smile Dulux :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Glad I can be of service :LOL: What I was trying to say that wood flooring is everywhere you look nowadays and personally I tend to get a bit bored with it. It is also incredibly noisy which grates after a while.

Dulux said:
Glad I can be of service :LOL: What I was trying to say that wood flooring is everywhere you look nowadays and personally I tend to get a bit bored with it. It is also incredibly noisy which grates after a while.

Of course it's everywhere! ;) It's easier to clean, it's healthier, more anti-allergic and even can upgrade the value of your home.

As for incredible noisy: use the proper underlayment and that problem doesn't occur.

But in the end it's all down to personal taste of course Dulux. I LIKE wood ;)

As for incredible noisy: use the proper underlayment and that problem doesn't occur.

Obviously this doesn't apply to floorboards. I used to like wood until we had our floorboards stripped, bluddy noisy. Looks nice and maybe it's cleaner but totally unforgiving for little ones. Carpet for me i'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back